Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiers

747-400 pmdg vnav altitude error?

Guest spiers

Hi, just wondering about airport and ILS data. I did an online flight and the airport didnt exsist on the PMDG FMC. I was just wondering if wanting to make ILS landings (autolands) i cant land manually, which files do i need the latest SID/STAR's database or the lastest AIRAC database?Thanks.

Guest D17S

Current SID/STAR and AIRAC cycle here: (Use these files to update your FMC

Guest spiers

Thanks for that, alot more departures are available now, just a question what does ILS 06 mean when landing? There is also an option RWY 06 i always choose the runway one, is there any difference between the two options.Also when taking off i get now speeds listed to the left, infact is says NO VREF SPEED, but when i enter the flaps into the takeoff page and press one of the V1,V2,VR or V3 the co-pilot will call the correct word or speed, but i dont get any "roll bars" which i think i should get, or do i are they yellow? I get the Green bars for flap retractions.Lastly ive stopped using the VNAV part of the FMC since i thought it had no use, i just use the FMC as a guide and just use LNAV for the Autopilot, i find the VNAV speeds are far too fast, is there any very good reason to actually turn the VNAV autopilot on?Thanks.

Guest D17S

The ILS selections are the IAPs (Initial Approach Point-Protocol?). Check out the FAA charts site and find an

Guest lespindo

Sam Don't you think is about time that everybody starts reading and studying the manuals ? just like we did ??????????on the other hand !!!!! It's realy good what you are doing because you are not only helping but you are refreshing all this stuf... You are doing great Sam!!!!!

Guest spiers

Hi, got afew questions. The Autothrottle doesnt seem to work before takeoff. Ive checked everything clicked VNAV it turns on but if i press Spd or LNAV,VNAV or FLCH in any order or pressing a certain button twice does nothing. Another problem is the VNAV altitude. If i change the crusing altitiude the LEG pages still display a different normally about FL350 and how can i change the speed? Im controlling the speed myself because it seems intent flying at 369 Knots, i changed the ECON speed to 330 and it worked for a while but if i disengage the AT (normally happens when i multi-task between programs) and then engage the Vnav speed again it goes to 359 knots.Lastly if i press any white knobs twice will this overide the Vnav? I thought it was meant to descend when it needed, but when i enter a altitude into the MPC and press the white knob it descends to the altitude immediatly even if the altitude in the FMC is different by a few thousand feet.Dont quite know whats going on, but wondering if you can help.PS the plans are saved ones, which i load then check and enter some details such as REF airport.Thanks.

Guest D17S

There's a secret screw just to the left of the AT arm switch that will engage the AT for TO. Arm the AT then click on the secret screw. The easiest way to change Vnav cruise altitude is to dial in a new altitude into the MCP and double tap the MCP altitude knob. That will reset all legs page and Vnav cruise page cruise altitudes. You will either climb or descend to that new cruise altitude.Changing Vnav cruise speeds: There's a couple of ways to change cruise speed. First: During the FMC's preflight setup, on the PREF page there is a "Cost Index" block that you have to fill in. Often folks just drop in a number. A RW 744 pilot suggested a setting of 100. I really don

Guest spiers

Was in the middle of a flight when this message was read, so havnt tried the "screw" yet.the Vnav seems to be working now, doubled clicked the altitude nob twice and at first the FMC Leg pages didnt change, but after a while they changed the crusing altitude. Ive always put 400 in the cost index, i'll try some different values and see what happens.About the speed i now enter speed restrictions before T/O, usually 245 under 10,000 because when descending it gets very close to 250, even at 245 speed restrictions.Another questions about the ILS RWY routes, you said i would see a ILS auto-tune warning is this a white text saying DME then some numbers? Only realised i was close to the runway and just slowed down in time.Lastly still about the same route, if i was told to "go-around" would i press the VNAV button to engage it and then it would go into the holding pattern to the left of the field (32L ILS at KORD)? I was just wondering if i did press VNAV after being told to "go-around", how would i get back onto a final approach with enough distance to slow down? maybe 10 miles out?Thanks again Sam, you explain things much straight forward than the manuals.

Guest D17S

Speed: if you are using Vnav, you don't really have to enter any speeds. Vnav will take care of all this for you. 250kts is the speed limit for any altitude below 10,000 ft. But remember, 250 kts may not be fast enough to keep the airplane safe with the flaps full up. If it's not, the FMC will COMMAND a speed faster than the 250 kt speed limit to keep the airplane safe. Safety first. Obeying speed limits are second. Also Entering climb speed restrictions in the legs page should work, but in our video game here, it does not. It's a bug.ILS runways? Another guy had a similar question, so here's a cut-and paste. About the same ideas. "As you are setting up your FMC, select your departure and arrival airports as usual and accomplish the normal FMC preflight setup. As a last step, go to the FMC

Guest spiers

just had a real bad flight. Was going to take screenshots of my landing but the AP disconnected and wouldnt reconnect while i was on final!!! I was hitting the buttons over and over but an immediate AP disconnect was the result, panacking i pushed the nose onto the runway expecting it to work, but the plane bounced so high i pressed the magic screw and thought i was heading into a holding pattern. I was wrong, the point was just a fix no pattern, i quickly manually entered the hold, but then End Route was displayed on the FMC, i tried to enter the Approach again but all i got was "Program Error" if i entered an approach, if i entered a runway i got "no active route". Out of desperation i entered the destination airport again and it worked, althought all this time meant i was over 40 miles from the Airport. Very scary stuff, definatly sure the way i did it was incorrect, think i just erased the route and made a new one, i didnt go from the hold, what hold? to the approach. Just out of intrest what do real world pilot press to use A/T on Takeoff or to Go-Around?Hope you have a better time than me Sam,Thanks.

Guest D17S

Oh yea. . we're havin' fun now. I just had the same kind of flight. (Don't think I'd better get FSpassengers yet. They'd be pounding on the door!) I have my trim mapped to the same 'hat' as my flaps. Sometimes I'll hit the trim instead of the flaps. Stab trim is designed to disengage the AP, so that part is my fault. But this next part is a program problem. The flight I loaded to test fly with was a saved approach to KPDX. The flight loaded all out of whack. The gear handle down, AP/AT was disconnected and the ILS tuned, but not usable. This was not the way I saved it. I got the gear handle up (gear never even tried to go down, thankfully) and the AP reconnected. Then on to getting the ILS re-jiggered. I had to manually re-tune the identical ILS frequency that was already displayed on the radio page. Finally the ILS displayed on the PFD and LOC and GS became usable. Ugh! These saved flights are a mess. But is wasn't over yet. I started the the flight with an intentional AP disco with APP armed, but not yet captured. I disco