Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Five - East Asia

This is the fourth thread in the Round the World Challenge series. We start a new thread when the old one gets to around fifty posts or so in order to make the topic easy-to-follow for everyone. To find out how this flight got started, follow these threads, in order:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7103.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7301.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7345.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7399.htmlThe Challenge was started by Tornado Wilkes.I cannot recommend strongly enough that you read these rules again. There have been several strikes issued, and several flights disqualified, because of missing or misunderstanding of the rules and posts. If you have any questions, please either post it to the thread or send me an email by clicking on the "send an email" link at the top of one of my posts.--TonyHave you ever wanted to fly around the world, but never had the time? Here's your opportunity to take part in a team effort.RULESOn 15 July 2002 (UTC), one intrepid volunteer started the RTW challenge departing Heathrow in Real World Weather. For each pilot, its up to them which way they go, however they must complete a flight of between around 1 and 2 1/2 hour duration. As soon as the leg is completed, they must post a message (with 1 screen shot - no more) on this thread and tell us exactly which Airport (inc. ICAO code) they finished at (N.B. each leg must finish on a runway).PICKING UP THE BATONAnyone wishing to take up the next leg, must reply to that "location post" simply stating that they "have the baton" (in disputes it is the first volunteer that posted who is chosen) and the challenge continues. The pilot with the baton has 3 hours to get back to the forum and post their PIREP and screenshot. If they have not returned in 3 hours, anybody may lay claim to the baton, starting at the previous departing airport -- thus making the current baton-holder's flight null-and-void. However, the 3 hour rule is flexible. If a pilot takes 3 hours and 10 minutes and nobody has laid claim to the baton, the flight is considered valid. BUT if someone claims the baton after 3 hours 5 minutes, the poor baton-holder's flight is null and void. In such circumstances, any subsequent location report posted with regard to the original flight, is deemed null and void. You may not "pick up the baton" in advance.NOTAM #1 by Tornado Wilkes here: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedTHE THREE STRIKE RULEThe following activities will earn you a strike.A. Failure to deliver a single screen shotB. Failure to go in a sensible direction (as judged by the flaming community although the challenge still continues from where you finished)C. Failure to use real weather -- either MSFS built-in, or FSMeteo (or work-alikes)D. Failure to Travel a distance that is in keeping with the aircraft chosen and weather. This means no slewing, no speeding up the simulation rate, no fiddling with your aircraft's .air file, etc.E. Attempting to steer or direct the flight whilst not in possession of the batonIf you earn three strikes, you are disqualified for the rest of the event.AIRCRAFTOnly the following aircraft (by any developer) may be used for this challenge:Turboprops (Single or Multi)Props (Single or Multi)HelicoptersBalloons (including blimps)NAVIGATION/ TIME OF DAYUse whatever devices you wish, and at whichever Time of Day you choose FINALLY.......Good luck all, this is our opportunity to prove that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" Tornado Wilkes

The baton is currently IN THE AIR, being carried by J. Van. We await his PIREP with anticipation!--Tony

Just got back from work , and was very surpised to see an entire thread had been started and finished while I was at work!! Since I wasn't there, and was not part of it, I found all the confusion to be downright funny. What a chore it is to co-ordinate people from around the world on a first come first serve basis! You must have gotten a headache sorting the whole thing out. Anyhow I hope everyone had fun anyway. The thread was certainly a blast to read!I'm hoping to join in and take a flight tonight.

No headaches here! And most folks seemed to come out of it with a positive attitude (see Emergency_Pants' separate post).All fun, and all a learning experience. :)--Tony

Hey Scabbo...Do we have any idea where J. Van is or where he's going...? I can't seem to pick up the thread info. Maybe I should wake up first. :-)Hawkeyez :-kewl

He said he was going to ZYHB. Anyone know of a turbo/prop that can do 700nm, or 1300nm in 3 hours?--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.TheVirtualAirline.com

Paul...I've been doing 700 to 800+ nm in 2-3 hrs with my Piaggio P-180. Cruising speed is around 390 kts TAS at FL270.Hawkeyez :-kewl

Well I have something figured out, I can get about 1300nm in THREE hours with the Reno Air Racer P-51 with 220 gallons of fuel extra with drop tanks(110gallons in each, which was standard at the end of WWII.) With the drop tanks, I should be able to get 1300nm in 3 hours, which I am testing right now, and actually just dropped them drop tanks.http://www.kryptonair.com/images/rtw_krplogo.gifAlso, I fly the P-51 at FL290 at 270KIAS, which right now is getting me about 446kts with winds at 234/30, my heading is 084. If I run in any time problems, I have another 40kts of speed, but I don't know if I would have the fuel.--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.TheVirtualAirline.com

Landed safely......Will update this shortly.The Baton is up for grabs........The aircraft flew like a dream. Dark skies over Mongola and China with a moderate tail wind starting 1 hour out. Heavy fog in the Taiping area. Didn't see the deck until I broke out 500' AGL. Total Distance 943 NMTotal time 2.7 HoursJugs of Coffee - 2http://www.geocities.com/majhnl/Connie.bmpStrange thing.....when I click on the link above I get a screen saying the image can't be found but when I copy the link and enter it directly it comes up........Fellow simmers, please copy then enter the site to see the shot.....sorry I can't do better than that =)John VanAAL700

I have the baton, info shortly...destination: Yelizovo UHPP....and here is the information......Departed the Chinese Airport(elevation around 500ft) on runway 23, climbed to FL220 at 5000FPM, then reduced to 3000FPM all the way up to FL290......This morning we are crusing at TWENTY NINE THOUSAND FEET above the earth(FL290) at an average ground speed of 445kts(274KIAS), which is, I assume, a little more than 500mph. I am the pilot, and the only passenger onboard this fine P-51 Mustang modified to be a Reno Air Racer. Our route is non-stop 1325nm flight, DIRECT GPS IFR to Yelizovo Airport UHPP in the beautiful Pacific Coast city of Petropavlovsk, Russia. Our estimated time enroute is about 2 hours and 50 minutes.........due to restrictions on this flight, we will be diverting to UHSS Komutovo, where we may have time to refuel and continue onto our intended, final, destination.--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.TheVirtualAirline.com

Scabbo...When applying the 3-hour rule does this time include the time it takes you from when you say "I have the baton" until you post final arrival info and screenshot...?I ask not only because I've been close "flying" within the 3 hours but that I've noticed some flyers that will use the 3 hours to fly, say they've landed and then post their landing info & screenshot after the 3-hour limit.Am I being picky...?? I just wanna be sure of just exactly how much "flying" time I can squeeze outta each leg.Dazed & Confused...Hawkeyez :-kewl

Hawkeyez, a good question.If the PIREP itself is not posted within 3 hours of the timestamp of the pilot claiming the baton, the baton can be claimed by someone else.This means that you can't claim the baton, start flight sim, get set up, and edit your post that you're about to take off and expect THAT time to count as your start time. Your start time is the original timestamp on the message in which you claim the baton. I have claimed the baton in the past, then had startup problems, which then reduced the amount of time I could fly.Let me give you an example using you and me.Hawkeyez claims the baton at 12:00Hawkeyez posts at 2:59 that he has landed and will post his PIREP shortly.If that PIREP is not posted in the next 60 seconds, I can claim that baton if I so choose, thus invalidating the flight.If, however, Hawkeyez manages to get the PIREP up before I can claim the baton (according to the timestamps on the messages), his flight is still good.The rules state that a flight shall be between 1 and 2.5 hours. The extra half hour is allowed for planning, setup, and preparation of the screenshot and PIREP.If someone decides to take 3 hours to fly, they're sure playing with fire. :) In short, simply posting that you have landed is NOT sufficient to guarantee your flight will be considered valid. You must post your PIREP and screenshot as well.--Tony

HawkeyezMy planned enroute time was 2+45. I would have planned a shorter flight but the aircraft I chose needed a fairly long runway....Taiping met the requirements (and then some). I'm not sure if this was pushing the envelope or not but think it was within the time constraints provided by the rules of the race. Had I screwed up and not gotten to Taiping within the alloted time, all that would have been lost was three hours of race time and my leg would not have counted as I see folks were waiting in the wings to fly.....and would have declared my flight void at 3hours 1 minute after I took the baton.John VanAAL700

There was talk of modifying aircraft to get longer distances without refueling.Don't do it for the race.The planes used need to be downloadable (or purchasable) and used as-is with no modifications by the pilot.You may not add fuel tanks/fuel capacity to the cfg file for your RTW flight. Basically, any other pilot must be able to download (or buy) the aircraft you're using and get the same performance you are getting.This falls under the strike rules above.Please note that stopping to refuel IS allowed. The only downside to that is that the clock keeps ticking.--Tony

J. Van...Apologies, I wasn't knocking your flight or what you did... I just wanted some clarification from the Judge as I've been reeeaally close to the 3-hour mark before too.Cheers...Hawkeyez :-kewl