Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

1st flight report + RR engines question

After 3 attempts to download the product come to nothing I was a bit fed up I must say. All of the isues were at my end mind you, big props to the PMDG servers for handling the rush. It's just that trying to d/l using dialup during a stormy few days leaves you open to the risk of download interruptions everytime the power flickers for more than a second!Finally I went into town and picked it up from a copy place that had a downloading service, darn thing cost me half as much again to download as it did to buy!!!In conclusion, New Zealand has an expensive and slow commercial broadband...Gripes aside, I loaded up at KPAE with a representative cargo and fuel load for a quick 25 minute Washington scenic at 12,000 feet.Frames were slightly less in the F with everything up and running, not show-stoppingly bad but we've become spoiled with the PAX fluidity I guess. I look forward to seeing what improvements can be made, if any. I suspect PMDG are pushing the limits of FS code optimisation here! Still the prosepct of that first Aerosoft Mega-EDDF + UT-AI departure is a daunting one FPS-wise.Sounds? Love 'em. You recognise them but they're just so much better. The sound of those 4 RB211's going for gold on takeoff was just awesome.On the subject of the RB211's what indications does one focus on during start up? I'm used to watching N2 primarily and keeping an eye on N1 as well as the EGT readings but what happens when you have EPR and N3 in the mix? What parameters count most importantly when starting?Anyway, all up an excellent first impression. Good job as always!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest SKireyev

Hey Mark--I think you're onto something here with the EPR and N3 indicators. I'd like to see a more in-depth tutorial on the correct SOPs for utilizing those indicators.Cheers,

Guest AJ

I was rather surprised that they did not cover this in much detail in the manual. There is mention of it in the -400F differences section, but the did not revise the systems section on engines (Chapter 11) at all. It still state that they are using only the GE model, which is no longer true. Since this affects the pax version too, it seems they should have updated this section with some detail on understanging the readouts.Andrew

Guest SteveK

Hey Mark,Glad you managed to get your download frustration sorted out. I'm very surprised that broadband in Kiwi Land is so bad, I would have thought that it would be alright. Oh well, hopefully it will get better.With regard to your Rolls Royce question, I think I have the answer you may be looking for.When starting GE engines, as you said, you monitor the N2 readout primarily. I do believe that the same is true with the RR and PW engines on starting. Once the engines are started however, the primary readout for the Rollers and the PW is EPR. The main difference between these 2 engines is that the Rollers have an additional N3 readout. Without getting into technicalities, it's due to the way the Rollers have been engineered and how they work.I hope that this has answered your question, although I do stand to be corrected by a RR expert...;) With regard to the FPS issue, there is a rather in depth post on this forum about this problem, mainly in the VC.Hope you enjoy flying the 400F!Cheers,