Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Six - North America, W

When posting to this thread, please take care to re-enter the Subject line rather than keeping the previous one. In particular, it's helpful if Location Posts have "Location Post" in the subject line, and it's also helpful when these are direct replies to this first posting in the thread!!

Oh say, can you see....Flight UpdateWell friends, the tough part is over! We've travelled over the most unfriendly and/or politically dangerous parts of the world. All that remains are friendly skies, ample landing spots, and locals happy to cheer us on in our endeavors. Enjoy your flights through North America!
This is the sixth thread in the Round the World Challenge series. We start a new thread when the old one gets to around fifty posts or so in order to make the topic easy-to-follow for everyone. To find out how this flight got started, follow these threads, in order:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7103.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7301.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7345.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7399.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7433.htmlThe Challenge was started by Tornado Wilkes.I cannot recommend strongly enough that you read these rules again. There have been several strikes issued, and several flights disqualified, because of missing or misunderstanding of the rules and posts. If you have any questions, please either post it to the thread or send me an email by clicking on the "send an email" link at the top of one of my posts.--TonyHave you ever wanted to fly around the world, but never had the time? Here's your opportunity to take part in a team effort.RULESOn 15 July 2002 (UTC), one intrepid volunteer started the RTW challenge departing Heathrow in Real World Weather. For each pilot, its up to them which way they go, however they must complete a flight of between around 1 and 2 1/2 hour duration. As soon as the leg is completed, they must post a message (with 1 screen shot - no more) on this thread and tell us exactly which Airport (inc. ICAO code) they finished at (N.B. each leg must finish on a runway).PICKING UP THE BATONAnyone wishing to take up the next leg, must reply to that "location post" simply stating that they "have the baton" (in disputes it is the first volunteer that posted who is chosen) and the challenge continues. The pilot with the baton has 3 hours to get back to the forum and post their PIREP and screenshot. If they have not returned in 3 hours, anybody may lay claim to the baton, starting at the previous departing airport -- thus making the current baton-holder's flight null-and-void. However, the 3 hour rule is flexible. If a pilot takes 3 hours and 10 minutes and nobody has laid claim to the baton, the flight is considered valid. BUT if someone claims the baton after 3 hours 5 minutes, the poor baton-holder's flight is null and void. In such circumstances, any subsequent location report posted with regard to the original flight, is deemed null and void. You may not "pick up the baton" in advance.NOTAM #1 by Tornado Wilkes here: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedTHE THREE STRIKE RULEThe following activities will earn you a strike.A. Failure to deliver a single screen shotB. Failure to go in a sensible direction (as judged by the flaming community although the challenge still continues from where you finished)C. Failure to use real weather -- either MSFS built-in, or FSMeteo (or work-alikes)D. Failure to Travel a distance that is in keeping with the aircraft chosen and weather. This means no slewing, no speeding up the simulation rate, no fiddling with your aircraft's .air file, etc.E. Attempting to steer or direct the flight whilst not in possession of the batonIf you earn three strikes, you are disqualified for the rest of the event.AIRCRAFTOnly the following aircraft (by any developer) may be used for this challenge:Turboprops (Single or Multi)Props (Single or Multi)HelicoptersBalloons (including blimps)NAVIGATION/ TIME OF DAYUse whatever devices you wish, and at whichever Time of Day you choose FINALLY.......Good luck all, this is our opportunity to prove that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" Tornado Wilkes

The baton is currently in the air, being carried by Dave Abrey.Departed PAWG.Timestamp on message was 6:02AM EDT.--Tony

Iahso...What NAV tool are you using to generate those maps...?Hawkeyez :-kewl

Just landed in the Baron at CYZT, Port Hardy, BC. Nasty weather taking off from Wrangell - headed W then SW over the water to stay clear of the hills near Wrangell (OK I'd probably get shot for even attempting to fly in such conditions ;-)). Then climbed above the clouds, headed straight down the coast to Port Hardy, landing just over two hours later.Pic below is fianl approach in to Port Hardy.Baton is now free...I'm glad I got this flight in, as I'm heading off on holiday tomorrow, so I won't be able to take part any further :-(. However, I want to wish you all good luck in completing the tour :-). As I'm away for two weeks, and the AVSIM system deletes pictures in posts after around 10 days, I reckon the maps will have gone by the time I get back :-(. So I'd be really grateful if somone could send me a copy of the map with the final route and lso the list of legs that Michael (lahso) has been doing. Thanks!!!Regards,Dave.

AVSIM RTW CHALLENGE North America, W--RTW Legs # DEPART ARRIVE AIRCRAFT1-- EGLL--LFRB----Grumman HU-162-- LFRB--LFDN----Piper Archer II 3-- LFDN--DAAJ----Beech 1900D 4-- DAAJ--HLLT----Convair 580 5-- HLLT--DAAJ----Piper Cheyenne 400 6-- DAAJ--DATM----Beech King Air 350 7-- DATM--GCXO----Cessna 421C 8-- LPFL--GQQN----Beech 1900D 9-- GQQN--GQNI----Saab 340 10- GQNI--GATS----Cessna 421C 11- GATS--DRZR----Piltus PC-1212- DRZR--DNMA----Cessna 208 13- DNMA--FTTC----Rockwell OV-10 Bronco 14- FTTC--HSSS----Saab 340 15- HSSS--OERK----Piaggo P180 16- OERK--OMAA----Beech 1900D 17- OMAA--OIMB----Piper Cheyenne 400 18- OIMB--OAMS----Cessna 421C 19- OAMS--OAKB----Pilatus PC-12 20- OAKB--UAAH----Piaggo P180 21- UAAH--UAAA----Beech Baron 58 22- UAAA--UAAH----Douglas DC-3 22- UAAH--UAAA----Beech Baron 58 23- UAAA--ZMBS----Piper Cheyenne 400 24- ZMBS--ZMBN----Cessna 421C 25- ZMBN--ZYHB----Connie 26- ZYHB--UHSS----P-51 Mustang Reno Air Races 27- UHSS--UHPP----Piper Cheyenne 400 28- UHPP--PATU----Piper Cheyenne 400 29- PATU--PACD----Piaggo P180 30- PACD--PADQ----Piper Cheyenne 400 31- PADQ--PAYA----Saab 340 32- PAYA--PAWG----Rockwell Commander 115 33- PAWG--CYZT----Beech Baron 58 --En Route Airports 1-- EGLL-- Heathro International - London, England2-- LFRB-- Guipavas - Brest, France3-- LFDN-- St. Agnant - Rochefort, France4-- HLLT-- Tripoli International - Tripoli, Libya5-- DAAJ-- Tiska - Djanet, Algeria6-- DATM-- Bordj - Mokhtar, Algeria7-- GCXO-- Los Rodeos - Tenerife, Spain8-- GQQN-- Nouakchott - Mauritania, Africa9-- GQNI-- Nema - Nema Mauritania,10- GATS-- Tessalit - Tessalit, Mali11- DRZR-- Zinder - Zinder, Niger12- DNMA-- Maiduguri - Maiduguri, Nigeria13- FTTC-- Abeche - Abeche, Chad14- HSSS-- Khartoum - Khartoum, Sudan15- OERK-- King Khalid International - Riyadh, Saudi16- OMAA-- Abu Dhabi International - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates17- OIMB-- Birjand - Birjand, Iran18- OAMS-- Mazar-E-Sharif - Mazar-E-Sharif, Afghanistan19- OAKB-- Kabul International - Kabul, Afghanistan20- UAAH-- Balkhash - Balkhash, Kazakhstan21- UAAA-- Almaty - Almaty, Kazakstan22- ZMBS-- Bulgam Sum - Bulgam Sum, China23- ZMBN-- Bulgam - Bulgam, China24- ZYHB-- Taiping - Harbin, China25- UHSS-- KHOMUTOVO - Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia26- UHPP-- YELIZOVO - Petropavlovsk, Russia27- PATU-- Casco Cove CGS - Attu, Alaska28- PACD-- Cold Bay - Cold Bay, Alaska29- PADQ-- Kodiak - Kodiak, Alaska30- PAYA-- Yakutat - Yakutat, Alaska31- PAWG-- Wrangell - Wrangell, Alaska32- CYZT-- Port Hardy - Port Hardy, British Columbia Totals: Distance Flown: 17757.9 nmDistance to San Diego: 1168.8 nm (est.) Ahhhhh, Progress! We are doing well! My Photoshop skills (or lack of) are getting better. Hopefully my next round of maps will be even better. Couple of other surprises up my sleeve. See ya in a bit.-------------MichaelJoke of the Day:How many America West Pilots does it take to fly from Miami to Phoenix?Two and a Fifth

Will check to see if I made it...amazed it's not already taken....Ian.

Remember, we must eventually make a stop in San Diego, CA KSAN, Chuckie Lindbergh--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.TheVirtualAirline.comwww.laartcc.org

In one of the earlier threads, Mike posted something that I think may get lost because it's buried deeply, even though he just posted this morning. The lines I particularly wanted to reply to are:"But aside from that, it was terrific fun both flying the original leg and... flying it again! I guess that's the real bottom line: are we having fun? I did, and thanks for the opportunity (now I'm off to watch from the sidelines :>)"I think Mike hit it RIGHT on the head about having fun. I sure am! It seems like others are. I think it's nifty that we have a range of folks, including at least 2 real pilots, participating.And Mike, take another leg! No need to sit on the sidelines. :)--Tony

Departed - CYZT 0643 PacificArrived - KACV 0849 PacificMade it to the Golden State, the weather was clear on departure but managed to get the early morning overcast along the California coast.Ceiling was 1000' on the approach with bases barely above minimums, tho the ground photo doesnt' really reflect that! Good that there was an ILS available at Arcata.Used real world weather updating several times en route.Total distance - 606 Nautical miles, flight time 2hrs. 6 minutes.

I have the baton at KACV and on the way south. Will post pirep in a while.Lowell WileyAeromachines

Aeromachines in Beech 1900DCruise 15,500 VFROff ARCATA, CA at: 12:50 EDTETA San Diego at: 15:10 EDTKACV to KSANWinds light and few scattered at 15,500 VFRExpect screenshot at KSANETA is now: 15:10 EDTETA is now: 14:10 CDTETA is now: 13:10 MDTETA is now: 12:10 PDTETA is now: If I could only figure up the UTC? Wow.I might guess it to be ETA 21:10 UTC? Who can keep up with it? Uneventful flight so far.

thought we were not allowed to do "updates" during flight? ;-) Not that it bothers me ;-)

Lance is correct.We're allowed to edit our initial post, but NOT post a new message until our PIREP at the end of the flight.I would have to check with Tornado to see if he intended that to be a "strike" offense or not.--Tony

Your call, you're the Umpire :-lol

Aeromachines is down and parked at KSAN at: 15:27 EDTWeather overcast about 1800 and good vis beneath.I desceneded VFR over the water. Come on in under for a right traffic VFR approach.Here is my Screenshot.AeromachinesLowell WileyScript Error on JPG post.I will try again. BATON is yours now.Happy Flying