Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Online weather: FS Meteo, FS2K2 weather, Vatsim Weather

When flying online what do I use? This weekend all 3 of my flights were near diasters b/c of inaccurate weather.I'm currently using FS Meteo weather, but I recently noticed that in the preferences that there is an option for "to use vatsim wx" check box. Do I use this in order to get the same weather the controllers are giving me? If I use the weather feature of ServInfo sometimes it shows weather that is 60+ hours old. Also, some controllers will advise you to call ATIS for current weather but just b/c I do that doesn't mean that FS2K2 is going to know what it is b/c I don't know where it is getting its weather info from.On one flight the controller gave me alitimeter reading that was .15 higher than what FS Meteo was and I missed not only the glideslope but the threshold completely whenever I took over controls. ATC's winds were much different than mine too.This wasn't a unique situation either. The first situation happened at KDEN and the same thing happened at KATL the next day. Winds were nearly the same but different altimeter reading.So what do I use when flying online? Can't have the missed approaches and crashes happening everytime.Very frustrating. :(

Use vatsim weather and be sure to check the option in squawkbox to "Ignore real world weather" otherwise you will have competing programs downloading real weather.I use this method when flying on vatsim and it's usually pretty darn close to ATC's weather. Sometimes they have outdated info and have called me for weather reports ;-))

I use FSMeteo weather as it is up to date and more realistic to what is happening "now". Vatsim weather may be up to 12hrs old. I always fly on Vatsim and always use FSMeteo's weather as well. Just put in the pilot's notes section that you are using it and it will be no problemo!

Eric