Sign in to follow this  
Guest skytrain

Making a Lnav Approach

Guest skytrain

I am not a real world pilot. I read on this forum that the reason why the PMDG 737 has no back course buton on the MCP is because in the real world lnav approaches are used to land on runways with no ILSs and real 737s NGs have not got the button. I will pay anything (figuratively of course) to someone who could take me through the steps of setting up a LNAV approach to FABL Rw2 when I am flying from FAJS on a direct-to routing on the FMC.Seetella

Guest svedman

I could be wrong, but if you choose a runway on the arrival page of the FMC, doesn't it create an LNAV course for you, even if there is no ILS on that runway?Best regards,

Guest D17S

An ILSXY or LOCXY will use a set of approach fixes, but just a plain ol' RWXY will only take you direct to the runway's threshold. If an ILS or LOC (or Rnav) selection is not available as an ARR page selection, it will be necessary to build your own set of approach fixes. FSNavigator has a flightplaning function that allows any right click on its map display to be entered as a flight plan coordinate. That might be a way to create these waypoints.

There's really nothing to stop you from flying a backcourse approach in the 737. I've been on the LOC BCS 29R approach into KTUS many times in real life - I'm positive the pilots just set up one ND in APP mode to monitor the raw signal from the ILS transmitter (remember, you only lack a backcourse hold mode on the AP, you have the ability to do reverse sensing and set up the ND's APP mode to do it.) You'd then have the approach loaded from DEP/ARR and displayed in MAP mode on the other pilot's ND. At this point you can just use LNAV and VNAV or VS to fly the approach down to minimums. You can't just "do an LNAV approach" in the real world. There must be a published backcourse, RNAV, GPS etc approach procedure on a chart otherwise you're just essentially doing a computer assisted visual approach. All sorts of things like alt restrictions for terrain clearance etc must be taken into account and you're not gonna be able to just make those up on the fly.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest skytrain

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try both and see if it makes my life easier. I will also continue to practice visual approaches in the 737-800 until I make them into a fine art. Thanks.Seetella