Sign in to follow this  
Guest kw2p

Assistance please: Lesson 2 :RTO - i am still getting nowhere

Guest kw2p

Hi,Sorry for bringing this back up but as no one else has posted any problems with this part of lesson 2 - i guess i am in isolation :( First - thanks to both Qavion and D17S for their replies given previously. However, I am no further on and i am now exasperated.I am following the tutorials verbatim. The PMDG/General/Options menu AFDS Throttle is not checked. RTO on COM page is set amd announced on upper EICAS.I don't have a joystick so i am using keys instead but i can't get the sim to instigate the RTO - ever!I gently increase the throttles to ~ 70% using numpad key 9, then when stable i use CTRL Z to set takeoff power (as set up and recommended in the tutorial - no conflicts). All is going well and the aircraft accelerates away - at 65kts HOLD is announced. At 120kts i abort the takoff by doing the following:I use the F1 key to set all engines to idle and then i press CTRL X to abort TO/Discon (as set up and recommended in the tutorial - no conflicts).Nothing happens appart from the aircraft slowing down because of the idle thrust. RTO does not instigate. No brakeing!I have tried every possible combination of PMDG/General/Options menu AFDS Throttle checked then unchecked. Using F1 or F2 to bring the throttle to idle. ???Nothing.Perhaps RTO does not work with keyboard alone and requires a joystick with throttle - please let me know.Otherwise i must be doing something wrong but i can't figure it out - can anyone help out? I would REALLY appreciate it. I know it is not something that would be used often but i want to get this working.Regards (again)Kenny Williamson

Guest svedman

Tried CTRL+X before F1?Best regards,

Guest kw2p

Hi SvedmanThanks for the reply - however i have tried this combo as well.... :(But i'll keep hoping.Regards Kenny

Guest svedman

OK. Try this.Enable the Throttle override option in PMDG's option menu, if not already enabled. Set RTO, enable A/T, press F4, then click the hidden hotspot for the TO/GA button on the MCP panel (the screw next to the A/T switch).Now, when you want to abort the take-off, make sure you do it above 80 knots, or the RTO brakes won't be applied anyway. At, say, 120 knots, press AND HOLD F1 until the throttles are idle, and braking should be applied. This is the trick: Keep F1 pressed!I just tried this, and it works fine for me without using my joystick or CTRL+X.Best regards,

Guest kw2p

Hi SvedmanThank you for taking the time to assist me.i tried your suggestion with limited success :)The brakes come on but seem to go off again quickly and the airplane continues to coast - not stopping before the end of the runway and the brake temp does not increase. I did not touch any manual brakes and continued holding the F1 key. When you say enable A/T do you mean by left mouse clicking the hidden hotspot 'screw' and engaging T/O thrust?Would it be possible to post a recording of what the RTO should be like using FS2004 record facility? then i would be able to see exactly what i should be seeing. I have both 747-400 and 747-400F versions if that makes any difference.Regards Kenny.

Guest svedman

By "enable A/T" I meant flipping the switch from Off to Armed. Sorry for being unclear here. Arm A/T, then enable it with the hotspot. :)I'm glad we're one step closer! I'd be happy to record the procedure for you, but I don't know if FS' internal recorder captures it, and I don't think you're doing anything directly wrong here. I am a bit puzzled it doesn't work for you, though.Try releasing F1 when you see the text Brakes at the bottom of your screen: Press and hold F1 until brakes are applied, then release the button.Best regards,

Guest kw2p

Hi Svedman.I installed both 747 versions in an alternative computer (temporarily) to test things. Operating system Windows 2000. Surprise surprise - works like a charm :) Very impressive - brake temp 5!So my next move is to re-install the 747s on my original pc.Thanks for all your help. It really was useful and I'll let you know how i get on.Regards Kenny.

hi kenny,for what it's worth, i think you should get a joystick. funds permitting, it really makes a big difference as compared to flying on a keyboard. tomas

Guest svedman

Glad to be of assistance. And I agree with Tomas, you definitely should get a joystick - it will raise your flying experience to a whole new level.Best regards,

Guest kw2p

hi all,Presently i don't have a very good joystick - very cheap and shakey!I used to have a good one a while ago but it died on me but i will get another one in due course. I agree - it makes a difference but you wan't to see just how nimble my fingers are :)Thanks again.Regards Kenny