Sign in to follow this  
brucek

B744 Under-wing engine support struts.

A question more about the real bird than the PMDG model, so I hope it belongs here.I just returned from a trip downunder, and while flying one of those legs in a B744 I had a window seat that showed a view looking back along the leading edge of the wing, and those two huge engines (GE in this case). I noted that both engines were supported by an underwing strut, but the mounting of the leading edge of that strut was different for the inboard and outboard engines. The leading edge of the inboard strut appeared to be attached to the underside of the wing, but the outer strut seemed to have it's leading edge attached to the top of the wing leading edge- the attachment point for both engines was different when looking at the leading wing edge. I thought that this was maybe specific to GE, but then noted an RR engined BA B744 and a P&W engined UA B744 at KLAX and saw the same mounting arrangement. The outer engine attachment to the top of the wing leading edge almost looked like an after-thought, like it had been built up to be like that.This all may be confusing unless one gets to actually look at the B744 wing and engine struts, but I was wondering what the reason is for that arrangement.Thanks- Bruce.