Sign in to follow this  
Guest UPS523

Keeps Climbing

Guest UPS523

Im having trouble with the 744 after i take off the plane just goes to 7000vs and i have no ap control of the vertical speed just keeps climbing and i cant bring it down unless i do it manually with the yoke.Is there a setting in the options ive missed or a fsuipc setting i need to make?? Also sometimes it wont follow the heading direction with ap engaged. If any one has any ideas id be gratefull thx. ive uninstalled and reinstalled many times its also climbs past the set altitude i know i must have something set wrong but i dont know what it is

Hi John,Something is definitely amiss, but we'll need more info from you.Answer the following and then we'll move ahead.- How fully loaded is the aircraft? - How much fuel did you have on board?- Have you filled in all the performance details in the FMC?- Have you set the stabiliser trim using the appropriate value from the FMC?- Have you loaded a flight plan?- Have you set the MCP(autopilot) altitude bug to an initial height, the MCP speed bug to V2 and the heading bug to runway heading?- Have you switched the flight directors on?Depending on the answers to the above, all you SHOULD need to do is rotate the aircraft at Vr and once the aircraft is climbing away, keep increasing the nose up attitude until the speed increase stops, then hold that attitude while you get the gear up.Let us know how you get on with the above questions and we'll go from there. If anything is unclear, go to the manual first, then come to us for further elaboration if needs be.Cheers

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest UPS523

Rgr that Mark thx

Guest UPS523

- How fully loaded is the aircraft? - How much fuel did you have on board?- Have you filled in all the performance details in the FMC?- Have you set the stabiliser trim using the appropriate value from the FMC?- Have you loaded a flight plan?- Have you set the MCP(autopilot) altitude bug to an initial height, the MCP speed bug to V2 and the heading bug to runway heading?- Have you switched the flight directors on?540.7zfw75,220fuelall perf filled outtrim setflight plan loadedyes,yes,yesfd onit climbs to about 5000vs untill the speed comes down to the yellow stall warning line and then it drops down to -200vs untill the speed comes back up to 250 and then climbs straight up again and keeps repeating this and goes past the set altitude

Guest D17S

You are engaging the AP too . . . at what, 200 feet or so?If the AP is engaged the AFS will command a speed on pitch climb in TOGA (initially), then VNAV SPD when Vnav captures during a normal TO and climb sequence. If for some reason during this takeoff-climb sequence there is an excessive rate of pitch change (the nose is moved up or down too fast), or pitch increases until the pitch limit rake is contacted, the AFS will kick out either TOGA or VNAV SPD as its "pitcher" (pitch mode) and bring in its emergency relief pitcher (pitch mode) FLCH SPD. A recovery from a slow speed event (yellow line, you describe?) will use FLCH SPD too . . . with exactly the results you are describing. I call it the

Guest UPS523

the flch dosent come on, Ive tried everything with the fmc and without i even tried the lessons that just came out and this plane would not hold altitude just kept climbing no matter what as soon as i engage ap and set the v/s, it goes right up 6000+vs even though i have it set at 1800+

Guest D17S

Time to get aggressive with pitch. Let's try a test flight. Set up a TO. Look at the FMC's TO page and set the MCP airspeed to V2+20 (just for this flight). You are going to hand fly and use this setting as just a speed bug reminder (that's all it is anyway!) Also, click on all the V speeds and the CG line. A stab trim number will come up next to the CG number. This is very important. Set your stab here. Also set your flaps to whatever you have set on this page.Ready for TO? Arm Vnav then engage the autothrottle. (Notice TOGA/TOGA in the left and right FMAs.) At Vr, rotate toward the command bar. Don't look outside. 100% focus in the PFD. You might not even get rotated all the way to the command bar before you lift off. Watch the radar altimeter for the lift off event. It will start to indicate. You want to know when you can get the nose up some more without hitting the ground with the tail (tail strike). Now, immediately focus 100% of your attention on the PDF's speed tape. For this flight, that speed tape is your whole world. See that bug you just set? You're accelerating toward it FAST aren't ya? Don't yank, but bring the nose up aggressively to STOP that acceleration. You want to control the speed of the airplane with the pitch of the nose. Gear up if you must, but leave the flaps alone. The AT will keep thrust at TO power. Just leave that alone too. This is called flying "speed on pitch" . . . and it is exactly what the AP will try to do too. Now hand fly up to 10,000 feet like this. Get the feel for speed on pitch flying. We're just test flying, so play around. Speed up, slow down (ahhh. . . not too much!) So far so good? Now retract a notch of flaps. Go chase the speed bug with pitch. Still, leave thrust alone. This is "Speed on Pitch." Practice this until you are a Speed-on-Pitch Pro. Now reset for another takeoff. Set the MCP to V2+10 this time. TO and hand fly to a stable V2+10. If you are light, even V2+10 will be hard to "catch" with pitch. For these test flights, I always found it was easier to "nail" a V2 speed if I made the airplane very heavy. But the main point is that after lift off, get to a stable speed as close to V2+10 as you can. Airspeed MUST be stable (for this stage of your career). Then engage the AP and let loose. You should be fine now. (Note: If the stab trim is not set right, on AP engagement the airplane might go crazy for a moment as the stab trim drives to fair the elevator. That stab trim setting is very important.)

Guest UPS523

Well Sam i read your post and did a few t/o's and that seemed to do it. everything went smooth, i guess i need to fly the speed bug for a litte while longer untill the climb stablizes and then engage APi want to thank you for your help ill play around with it some more and go over the course lessons again a few times, i really appreciate it take care