Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

744: Liftoff...1000 AGL....AP on - What mode?

If I take off in the Queen with no LNAV or VNAV but am flying manually under TOGA with the FD switched on and then I flip the AP to on at 1000 AGL, what mode am I kicked into at that time ? Jonathan

Guest D17S

I'd check it for you, but I'm flying right now. If you have the FD on, you can tell yourself though. Look at the FMAs. What do othey say? With the AP engaged, those are the modes the AP is hooked up to.

TO mode is a valid A/P mode after takeoff, Jonathan.The aircraft should maintain MCP speed+10 ~ MCP speed+25 and the aircraft should maintain ground track.Cheers.Q>(Edit): This is applicable to the 747-400, not (normally) the 767.

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

just to add, the AP will stay in TO mode until you ativate an other AP mode and/or until it reaches the altitude set in the MCP window. It will level off at that altitude and the SPD mode will become active holding the initially selected MCP speed + 10 knots.

"until you ativate an other AP mode and/or until it reaches the altitude set in the MCP window. It will level off at that altitude and the SPD mode will become active holding the initially selected MCP speed + 10 knots."Real world or PMDG, Paul?This scenario appears to be similar to altitude capture during GA mode. During GA, pilots are taught to select SPD mode prior to altitude capture to prevent possible (flap limit) overspeed. A response from a 744 pilot to a previous enquiry about Go Around A/T behaviour at altitude capture indicated that flap limits will be obeyed (so I'm assuming that a slight overshoot is possible at the flap limit). Unfortunately, I can't recall what A/T mode resulted at this limit. I'm currently making enquiries to find out what should happen in real life.Cheers.Q>

Guest D17S

Q,Are you asking (or could you ask) about that "SPD/ALT" capture that adds 10 knots to a re-set MCP airspeed from an initial "THR REF/TOGA" climb? While you're there, it might also be interesting to ask about adding 25 knts to a NON-reset MCP V2 (then flight directing to it) even though the current airspeed is higher. That's gotta be wrong. The PMDG 744 is doing this stuff and we were seeing that in the lesson. Neither of these sound right but it would be interesting to see. I'd ask my 742 guys but they'd say: "TOGA pitch mode? That's that FMS stuff isn't it? Get away!" They'd better get used to it . . . soon.

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

I was talking about PMDG.The AT always adds 10 knots to the MCP speed set whenever it is leveling off at a MCP selected altitude after TO or GA.