Sign in to follow this  
Guest H_Kev55

To Avsim

Guest B1900 Mech

Would it be possable to start a locked at the top thread for MSFS Tweeks? Here is two that I came across. Thank's Jim #1 This is one to get rid of the brake message. show_brake_message=0 #2 For less gyro drift,Open up FS2002.cfg with your favorite text editor and look for the line "GyroEffect=1.000000". Change it to something more reasonable, e.g. "GyroEffect=0.125000

I agree, that would be a good idea.Mike

Guest Heather 636

I like the concept.I appreciate that tip about the gyro adjustment. i don't know about the other planes, but when flying the DC-3 on autopilot, I'm having to readjust for gyro drift every few minutes.Here's my contribution to the "tips/tweaks."Nothing earth-shaking as far as aircraft performance, but how many of you hate having the instruments in the middle of your view when using the mini-panel on an approach, or visually seeking a waypoint?Easy solution. Move them to the top of your screen.Go into FS2002/aircraft/default/panelOpen the panel cfg with notepad.Scroll down and change, wherever you find: Position=7Change the 7 to 1.Voila!Cheers!Heather

Well, yes and no.I agree that a locked tips thread isn't the best of ideas (for one thing, it would end up as a *huge* thread I'd hate to scroll through). OTOH, I don't think that AVSIM has to take a back seat to any other web site -- this is something that should be here.What we need is not so much a forum but a FAQ of some sort with these tips distilled and posted here. That's actually the one thing AVSIM really lacks. Yes, we have forums and the file library, but neither fits that "click here for the stuff that's always asked" sort of feel a good FAQ has.I don't know if Tom reads *every* message here, but perhaps some moderator could pass this on and he would give it good consideration. More work? Yep (heck, I'd even volunteer to help if it comes to that -- I end up with *lots* of free time inbetween compiles, as my too many posts here indicate :>). However, I think it would also cut down on the number of forum posts like "How can I get my frame rate better?" "How do I hook up dual monitors in FS?" etc.The FAQ could be divided into sections like "Better Performance", "Basic Setup", "Adding Scenery and Aircraft" and so on. Then people could refer others to the FAQ rather than asking them to search the forums (assuming it was a basic question or tip asked there).Just my two cents.

Mike, we used to run a quite large FAQ system, which I would be happy to re-open, but with the caveat that you volunteer to maintain it. If you are sincere in your interest in running a FAQ system FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, and not just as a "flash in the pan", have I got a job for you!!! Send me an email, and we'll get this back up and running in a heart-beat (but keep in mind, the bulk of populating it would lie fully on your shoulders and any who care to assist you :) ) But please, only if you are committed for the long haul.

Guest Scott Campbell

Mike,Wow. Good luck. We'll miss you. ;-)

Guest SoarPics

Well said, Scott.Mike, on behalf of the entire community let me put forth a great, big "THANK YOU".P.S. Soon as you're settled in to your new career, let us know about a food and water schedule. Plenty of folks will help keep you provisioned.:-beerchug Respectfully (with tongue in cheek and a wry chuckle),Greg,PPS- Tom, sign him to the standard high dollar executive contract before he changes his mind :-lol

LOL. Okay, maybe you're both right. In any case, I *do* have more free time at work than I care to admit (no Dilbert comments here).Tom suggested I might want to draft plenty of help, so I'll be posting a message tomorrow with that plea as well. But I do think it (the FAQ forum) can be of benefit to us all, so it's worth the old college try.

Well It seems that what has been suggested in this thread seems to fall into line with one of the the objectives I have been trying to achieve on my site. If any one has any suggestions or offers of help on the subject matter, please contact me for further discussions.CheersPetemarkopete@ozemail.com.auhttp://www.pete-yep.com/

Guest B1900 Mech

Your a Hero Mike!!!!!! Thank's from Jim

Guest H_Kev55

Tips and tweaks can also be found at the Flight Sim Veterans Club.All layed out departmentally so it's easy to find what you want.Just go to www.fsgateway.com for the link.avsim used to have a link to FSVG, wander what happened to it?Good Luck,Kev