Sign in to follow this  

OTHER instrument training software...

I would like everyone's opinion on the "other" instrument training software out there, like ASA's IP, Elite, Jepp, etc.Not that MSFS2002 is bad at all, I am just looking for something in addition that is great at teaching all of the aspects of instrument approaches, more so that FS2002 does.Any and all opinions would be welcomed.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Another option besides purchasing more expensive software, would be some intstrument flight training manuals to go along with FS2002. At least FS2002 has quite a complete data-base for instrument flight; although you would want to cross-check with current IFR charts if being up to date is needed. Sporty's Pilot Shop has some manuals you may be interested in. Check under books, then IFRI'm just a "sucker" for some good old realistic looking terrain in addition to IFR practice. This is where FS2002 does much better than the "straight" IFR simulations. Although these other sims will have better tracking capabilities, & smoother running instruments too!http://www.sportys.com/shoppilot/L.Adamson

I've owned/tried most of them-I think ms2002 is the best value, has the most features, and is the one I use to practice on. The only thing lacking is the ability to replay on an approach plate-perhaps an idea for an add on.Get Ron Machado's instrument flight book-excellent and the best imho!Fire up ms2002 and you are set...http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Hi Geof,With the Jepp Sim Charts, you can overlay your aircrafts position. In theory (I don't own the product) you could then just do a replay and watch your position on the plate.Andy (YSCB)

Yes they are bit pricey (IMO). Do what I did and tell your friends and family for birthday present ideas!Andy (YSCB)