Sign in to follow this  
Guest hilton137

Flightdeck Wind Sound Problem

Guest hilton137

I'm a new and happy PMDG 747-400 Passenger user. Started hearing an inconsistent external wind noise instead of the usual continuous hiss. This interval is about twice every second and is more an issue of volume level than silence. Take Off, Cruise; no problem, starts on descent going thru' FL 250 all the way to Ground. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Although I was a real world pilot, my understanding of programming and computer skills are limited. Thanks in advance. Hilton

So you're saying on descent, the wind sound cuts in and out? That's strange, I don't think I've seen anyone report that before.My first thought would be something running in the background that is causing your computer to hiccup. What are your computer specs? Are you using a soundcard or onboard sound?Oh, just as an FYI, PMDG requires everyone to sign their posts with their real name.

Guest hilton137

Hi Mike, My apologies for not signing my full name. The best way to describe this is if you were standing on the beach with the surf noise, then cup your hands over your ears and raise and lower your cupped hands on your ears. Hope that helps. If I switch to the external view this problem goes away, but returns when in VC or 2D cockpit view. I'm not running any other add-ons, my system is a Dell XPS400 2.8GHz with 1 gig memory. Video Card is a 256MB PCI Express nVidia GeForce 6800. Sound card? Sound Blaster X-Fi digital 5.1 to headset. Strangest thing is only on descent at idle thrust, and this hiccup noise is definitely only exterior wind noise. As the engine noise increases with Thrust application the problem is masked by engine noise which does not hiccup! Thanks again for your prompt response. Hilton Braithwaite