Sign in to follow this  
adamant365

Flying the Pacific

Hello all, For my entire "career" of flying MSFS's (back to FS5) the longest journeys I have undertaken have been trans-atlantic. Well, now I want to get into trans-pacific flight. I have a good set of atlantic waypoints I downloaded for NAT flight. The problem is, FS9 doesn't include lat/long waypoints to follow across the pacific for ATC sake. My question is, how do you all go about flying trans-pacific in the 747? For example, I want to fly this flight plan:VTU5 RZS LIBBO BRINY ALCOA CEPAS COBAD 4100N 14000W 4400N 15000W 4600N 16000W 4800N 17000W 4700N 18000E 4400N 17000E 4100N 16000E ETRON OTR7 PABBA OTR6 KETAR OTR10 ARIES.....It's UA899 from 10.19.06, KLAX to RJAA. Of course due to the shortcomings of flightaware.com, I will have to fill in the blanks for the end of the flight. Anyway, how do I go about flying PACOTS within FS9 and in the 747? I think I know how to program the FMC with the proper info for the lat/long points but filing an IFR flightplan with these points in FS is the trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!-adam

Hi, I don't how to file it on FS. However, what I usually do is to use fsbuild. It is easy since it will automatically created flight plan files for the queen's FMC and FS at once, with a nice looking map which shows you which parts of the earth you will fly over, as well as giving you the ETE and it is pretty accurate if you have activesky. Having said that, from my point of view, you can ignore the total fuel requirement and fuel remain on each fix which are produced by fsbuild, they are inaccurate.ben

Guest benhoffman

I think what you have there is a Pacific Organized Track (PACOT) but it might be a Dispatcher constructed random route. Microsoft never envisaged FS being anything more than a "game" and therefore, its crude ATC system cannot accept lat/long waypoints through the flight planner but I think you might have some luck with FSBuild.I never use FS9 ATC so I don't know.

Well, Once I got the .xml/.bgl files to work properly, I easily created all lat/long points from 20N 130W through 50N 140E in latitude increments of one degree and longitude increments of ten degrees, just as the PACOTS are set up. So far it's about 210 added waypoints to the default FS9 list. This is fine for flying from mainland US to Japan/China, etc...Now I am going to fill in and create waypoints down to 50 South or so. Maybe when I'm done I'll upload the .bgl's to the file library for anyone that's interested. Thanks all.-adam