Sign in to follow this  
Viennaman

WINDS in FMS

Hi Folks,Its very strange, sometimes its not possible to put in winds into the FMS in the 747 and sometimes it is. When i use a waypoints not from the FS it seems like that then you cant put winds in.Any explantation for that ?Marek from LOWW

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Marek,You can only input wind data into waypoints that are assesed by the FMC to be within the CRZ portion of any given flight. Any waypoint prior to TOC or following TOD does not have this facility available.You can input wind data at four different altitudes, TRANS ALT/LVL & NAI on info by going to the VNAV DECENT page & following the DES FORECAST prompt in order to assist the FMC in calculating the correct TOD point. The wind info along with any alt restrictions are used in the TOD (VNAV PTH) calculation.Unfortuately this is not as it is in the 'real world', & a limitation of the PMDG model (a very small limitation in my opinion).BTW, the input of wind data into the FMC is still, in my opinion one of the best ways of ensuring you have sufficient fuel to safely conduct any given flight...standby for further comment on this statement I suspect!!!Blue skies & happy landings alwaysRegards Steve B

Hi Steve,i know that i can only put Wind data at the CRZ portion of the flight but last flight from KJFK to EDDF i coulnd get any wind directions and speed information into the FMS at all. That was strange. It was teh first time that the FMS didnt let me. But the Waypoints were taken from Route Finder - not from the FS. Could that be the reason ?Marek

Marek,I have entered waypoints & rtes from flight planners & charts & never had this problem, I always enter my route in the RTE Page of the FMC, never exporting files as I believe some flight planners allow??...I never seem to encounter problems like yours...sadly more than can be said for the weird behaviour I am currently experiencing with my CRT/LCD displays (see my post from the other day).If you use the RTE Page to buld your RTE & still get this type of problem then there must be a glitch in your system that I cannot help with.Sorry I could not help further.Steve B