Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Maximum Acceptable Fuel For Landing Heavies?? How to c

Guest Stanner1953

Where does one find the maximum acceptable flow load for a landing of the default Boeings in FS 2002?I realize their is a maxium landing weight for these air craft. What are the weight rules? Where can I find these?Thanks,Stanner

hi Stanner,not sure about the other Boeings, but for the 747 bring up the kneeboard (F10 key) click on the reference tab and scroll down to the bottom and you'll find the speeds for the given weights. also, i've found that for every 50,000 lbs. of fuel you burn off in the 747 you can reduce your final approach speed 10 knots with full flaps under light to no wind conditions. hope this helps. happy flyin, fm

I see this question asked often as it concerns the POSKY aircraft. These fine models were carefully designed to realistically simulate the structural strength of the airframe and the weight of the aircraft, and are notoriously unforgiving when landed above the max landing weight.A great place to start is at Boeing's website. Tucked into a far corner are the [A HREF=http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/aircompat/plan_manuals.html]"Airport Planning Manuals"[/A]You can find performance data on almost all the models in here. There will be a table in SECTION 2 of each model's manual that details the weight limits for popular configurations (usually different engine types).Locate a column which appears to best reflect best your simulator model (tricky to know, but try matching the FS2002 MTOW from the aircraft.cfg with the MTOWs in one of the columns). Note the max design landing weight. You must be at this weight or lighter to avoid crunching the gear.In the aircraft.cfg file, (Weight and Balance) section, note the designers didn't wish to map out the loads of every passenger and cargo pallete, so they cheated a bit. They calculating a loaded CG and added the "Payload Weight" to the "Operating Empty Weight" and penned it in under the Empty_Weight value. This value does not reflect the operating empty weight, but in fact reflects the Zero Fuel Weight for the simulated payload loaded up.Subtract the Max Landing Weight from the Zero Fuel Weight (a/k/a Empty_Weight from the aircraft.cfg). The resulting number is the maximum amount of fuel that can read out on your gauges for you to land safely. If you have more fuel than this, and you need to land, you'll need to jettison fuel, for fly some extra circuits.In real-life, cockpit crews with heavily loaded aircraft, like the oceanic flights, plan for fuel jettison in the event of an emergency landing after takeoff, or short of destination, just to make sure they are in the weight spec.You can land all of the default FS2002 airliners, and many of the addon airliners above the MLW. But for the POSKY airplanes in particular, you'll need to do so ever so gently. That means be on your reference landing speed and aim for a final sink rate of no more than 100fpm to touchdown (tricky tricky).Proper planning will allow you to arrive within the weight limits, and then you should be able to bounce the airplane off the runway and still settle back for a damage-free landing.The (Contact_points) section of the aircraft.cfg specifies max sink rates the gear pieces can stand up to. Some are as high as over 1500fpm! That'd really knock the teeth loose!(Incidently, if anyone has access to published data on the real sink rate limits many aircraft gear can withstand, I'd love to take a look!)I used to break the gear on my POSKY 767-200 all the time. Man it made me upset! When I found the Boeing data, I finally realized it was all my fault, and had nothing to do with the fine POSKY model. Now, unless I overlook something, I never break the gear on touchdown.--Andrew, KGFK