Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

FS2002 Freezes

Guest TerryT

Jim, When I delete FS2002 I first let Win XP do it's thing. Then I remove the remaining folder manually and do a "Clean" re-install.I will look at the area numbers to see if they are missing. Do the area and layers numbers need to match, i.e. area 0019 and layer 0019?Terry

Guest TerryT

John,Thanks,I will go over and take a look at your post.Terry

Guest TerryT

Will, Ref my response near the top of this thread to the case and cooling capacity of my new system. (6 case fans) I do have a 450W powersupply and someone earlier stated they put in a 600W to correct their problem.Terry

"History has DEFINETLY taught me a few things of how to run and maintain a computer."Fortunately, my profession (LAN/WAN & Desktop Admin) has taught me the same, and then some :)I agree with just about everything you've said (see my thread referenced in my first reply)...But I have to disagree with the Norton System Works suggestion--only because I've seen my share of issues with some of the dll's Symantec likes to drop in the background. FS2002 is best run on a clean system. Introducing yet another set of dll's running in the background will only serve to hinder FS....Back to where we agree--I have to believe it's a combination of memory, power supply, or heat related issues. The thread's author has pretty much ruled out heat, but the power supply could be suspect if it's been used in both systems. It's been 'oft said, even in this thread, that FS2002 is the only app that causes these issues. But if you review all the anecdotal reports on the usenet regarding software problems, they almost always seem to cascade into one app over the rest. And usually, it's the most memory intensive, cpu and gpu intensive application."You ever had a time when your computer rebooted unexpectedly when you were doing something in Windows, and as you go back in, you can't get into Windows any more??"This is an interesting thought, only because there is a fix for this under Windows 9x. Can't recall whether it's been available for NT/2000/XP, and it most likely isn't needed. Under Windows 9x, it's prudent to disable write behind caching. With it enabled, Windows will cache various disk writes, flushing them at certain intervals, and at shutdown. Problem is, losing the power or locking up during a Windows session can cause these cached disk writes to be lost. They are meant to speed the system, but can create all sorts of havoc if you lock your system or lose your power at the wrong time. I've had one test system running Win 9x for 5+ years...never had an issue of lost data with this tweak applied...-John

Guest firehawk44

Terry,To answer your questions:"When I delete FS2002 I first let Win XP do it's thing. Then I remove the remaining folder manually and do a "Clean" re-install." Yes."I will look at the area numbers to see if they are missing. Do the area and layers numbers need to match, i.e. area 0019 and layer 0019?"Yes. The area numbers will be there, they just may not be in sequence. I think I had Area.0019 and Layer=18 after I did a clean install of FS2K2. Jim

Guest TerryT

It looks like we all have similar problems yet we all seem to have a different fix. I am still trying to figure out what the "Common" thread is and then I believe we "Will" have that fix. For now I would still go with the FS2002 program itself along with what ever version on WIndows we might be using. Has any one tried the new "Lindows" operating system? It is suppose to be able to run windows programs with the stability of Unix. http://www.lindows.com/Terry