Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Crazy 747 autopilot, weird fix, part 2

To all curious pilots and Zane767,I think I FINALLY found the cause of the strange autopilot behavior with my Queen. After a total reinstall FS9 and my PMDG aircraft, I tried it out the other day and everything worked fine. Well, the next day I went into the PMDG options menu and set up all my preferences and then tried out a flight in the Queen. The autopilot and autothrottle problem returned! Son of a @#%$&! Pitch commands were again being ignored in VNAV and all pitch modes. Later on, engines 3 and 4 mysteriously quit following A/T commands.Then it dawned on me what the problem might be. In the PMDG options menu under the AFDS section I had previously checked both boxes for the throttle and control overrides. While engines 3 and 4 were giving me trouble, I went into the options menu and first unchecked the throttle override box. Then I reset the A/T and both engines resumed following commands and stayed that way from then on. So I then unchecked the controls override box as well and since then I have not had any problems with the A/P or A/T for many more flights.When I think back now, I had set those options so that I could have the A/P disengage when I moved the controls. My controls seemed to only override the autopilot with a large input, so I didn't think that small inputs or noise would cause a problem, but apparently that might be the case. The A/T problem began occurring after I had later on set the A/T override. That's why my two bugs weren't concurrent when they started happening.It seems that my controls, CH Product yoke, throttle quad and rudder pedals, might be sending out some noise. I especially don't have any dead zones set for the throttle quad. I'm using the CH Control Manager as of the moment, but I guess I'm finally going to buy the full version of FSUIPC to manage them better. For now, I'm going to leave those boxes unchecked.I never had any problem with the PMDG 737 because this option wasn't set. Live and learn. If Zane767 reads this, make sure you uncheck those two options and see if the problem goes away.At least I have a clean and properly defragmented setup of FS9 out of all this runaround. I have FS9 installed on the outer clusters of my hard drive and what a difference! The Megacity scenery loads faster and the textures will actually catch up when flying for once. I recommend UltimateDefrag or any other defragmenter program other than Microsoft's!Kim