Sign in to follow this  
Guest SparrowHawk7

ILS question

Guest SparrowHawk7

I've not flown the 737NG that much so this is most likely an error on my part but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong so perhaps someone here would be kind enough to straighten me out. This is in FS9 incidentally.When flying I use FSNav to setup the flight plan. I can program the FMC OK and get to the destination approach . I set the FMC to the correct runway and get all setup on final. Radios both tuned to LOC frequency and press APP once I'm established. The plane picks up the glideslope and I adjust speed and flaps, lower gear etc. Once established I also engage the second AP so both channels are working and CMD is reflected in the annunciator. However, for some unknown reason the plane flies the vertical glideslope perfectly, but remains about 50' to the left of the runway. The horizontal part of the approach indicator (not sure what that part is called) also shows the runway where it actually is - off to the right but it will not correct and bring me in properly lined up. This behavior forces me to take control of the plane in order to bring it down on the numbers myself ... what am I doing wrong here? I've got all the latest patches both for FS2004 and the 737NG. It shouldn't make any difference, but I'm flying the 737-600.TIA,Ken

Ken,Have you used the option to rebuild the scenery database?Are you trying to land at a default airport or an addon?

Guest FlyMD11.nl

Hi Ken, Are you sure that the 737 captures the localizer? It is a known problem on many aircraft that localizer interception while in NAV is performed inaccurately. Normally the intercept ("cleared approach") is flown in HDG.The course of action would be: setup your approach as you always do but instead of waiting for the NAV to get you established on the final and then pressing APP etc. You set up the approach and wait till you are within 90 degrees of the approach path (i.e. RWY heading 270 degrees, wait till NAV brings you on a heading between 180 and 225 degrees (if coming from the north)) At this course switch to HDG in stead of NAV and press APP... Now the AP will pick up the the localizer.Another note is that it's always best to establish on the localizer before the glideslope (some aircraft fail to follow the GS if LOC isn't captured even)Is this of any help? If you need more explanation of the above written procedure let me know!Remco

Guest SparrowHawk7

Thanks for the replies guys. Keith - I thought of that and tried it at the same airport (default KRDU) both with addon scenery enabled and also with all of it disabled but the same thing happens.Remco - I see what you are saying. Normally what happens is that I come up on the localizer hdg at an offset of 30-45* with the LOC active. The plane appears to pick up the localizer because the heading changes to reflect that. Most of the time I will wait until I see the glideslope begin to catch up with my altitude ... once it gets close to center I'll activate APP. I will have to give your suggestion a shot and see what happens - I'll let you know if it solves it. The thing is that at one time my method was working just fine which is why I sort of thought I might have changed some internal setting inadvertently.I should have mentioned this in my original post ... I also seem to be following my FP but not right on the money - I'm offset slightly. I haven't set that in the FMC and it seems to happen whether I fly LNAV or HDG. I saw another thread after I posted to the effect that magnetic north might be set wrong. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that but I can always fly an approach with a default plane and the 737NG to isolate whether it's a setting on the 737 or a general problem with FS9.Thanks again ... I'll experiment a bit asap.Ken