Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Robert...can the Flight Plan list be clarified please?

Guest cliffie1931

The list of Flight Plans included with the PMDG package is a useful, great idea.However there are many Plans in the list that are unfamiliar to me by reading their airport codes only.The only way to find out is to take each Plan one by one, to identify the relevant airports and then make a separate written list with entries such as "LAXSFO001 = Los Angeles to San Francisco"It's a list that I suspect is too long for many of us to deal with and consequently aren't benefitting from it as much as you and we would like.May I ask you to consider adding the airport names to each Plan?Cliff

Guest Erups

Just IATA codes.http://www.airport-technology.com/codes/Once you get used to it, it's not difficult.Many USA airports are just the ICAO code stripped of the leading K.K LAXK JFKK SFOand on.Things get a little different in other nations where IATA and ICAO codes could differ a lot.Anyway IATA are those you find on actual boarding passes.

Guest cliffie1931

I thank you for that link Claudio which I have no doubt will prove useful.The PMDG list includes about 360 flight plans. If we only know a few of them it becomes a very time consuming task to identify and list each one (720 airports) for future use.Don't you think it would be a advantage if we could choose a flight from Plans described, for example, as follows: LAXSFO001 = San Francisco to Los Angeles = 308 nmThat offers both the choice of a route that may intest us AND the distance we want to fly.Cliff

Guest Erups

Well...For me it's just that.I mean, since i'm pretty used to that kind of code, reading say JFKFCO001, i instantly think of New York - Rome.But i understand that, not being used to that, you would find useful such a list as the one you propose.With a parser it would not be so difficult, except for the distance.

Guest cliffie1931

Forgive my ignorance but what is "a parser" Claudio?Cliff

Guest Erups

>Forgive my ignorance but what is "a parser" Claudio?Generally speaking a Parser is a program (or function) that reads a stream of data and is able to determine the presence of a determined sequence of characters, and act upon it.In this case such a program would scan the FMC plans directory, and for every file it would read the name (eg LAXSFO001) cross reference to the ICAO database, and write a new line in the list it is creating expanding the code to actual names (eg From Los Angeles to San Francisco 001).But to also have the milage it would be a bit more difficult.