Sign in to follow this  
Guest djprem

744 APU & Fuel Questions

Guest djprem

I've got some questions that I cannot figure out1. I can't seem to start/run the APU when I'm in the air, is there a different procedure to do this in the air?2. When I land with less then 30,000 fuel left when I switch A/T off engines 2 and 3 will switch of automatically am I missing something?Thanks.Danil Premgi

1. You Cant start the APU in the air (if you ever find yourself needing the apu when in the air you have bigger problems then the APU wont start) Rob

Rob Prest

"1. I can't seem to start/run the APU when I'm in the air, is there a different procedure to do this in the air?"On the real 744, you can't start the APU in the air. You can leave it running after takeoff, if you started it on the ground (but, normally, no electrics will be available)"2. When I land with less then 30,000 fuel left when I switch A/T off engines 2 and 3 will switch of automatically am I missing something?"Could be coincidence. It sounds like you didn't configure your pumps and crossfeed valves properly. Did you have any EICAS messages during the flight, like "FUEL TANK/ENGINE"? What were the fuel levels in each tank on landing? Or pehaps your key assignments are incorrect?Cheers.Q> イアン

Guest djprem

Yes, I get the EICAS message "FUEL TANK/ENGINE", I've not assigned any keys.

Guest kb0iic

I was getting this, too, when I first started again with the 747 after being away from it for a long time. I looked in the manual for the message and it explained the steps needed to provide the right fuel configuration. When main tank 2 quantity is <= main tank 1 or main tank 3 <= main tank 4, the EICAS message 'FUEL TANK/ENG' is displayed. Follow the procedures to correct this.Look at section 4-7-William