Sign in to follow this  
Guest jormond

TCAS Issue Post Up-date 744X

Guest jormond

Good day, First I want to thank the PMDG staff for a great job on the Update for the 744X. I have found that there is an issue however and I am hoping I can get some assistance to resolve it. I have found that the TCAS system does not work after the update unless I go to the options section and select

Guest Oz_Animal

Hi JamesAs far as I am aware the fix for the TCAS (If all aircraft is de-selected) will only show aircraft that "are" going to conflict with yours. Just because an aircraft is close to you does not automaticly make it conflict. More or less in line with the real thing.FSUIPC should not have any affect on this new TCAS fix regarding distance. If you want to see traffic to 80 nm etc then just select show all traffic in the options, if you like that sort of thing. In the privious version it would show any old bird flying past, even if it was 2000 below etc.Hope this helpsRegardsSteve

Guest jormond

Steve, I think you miss understand my issue. Before the patch I was able to see other aircraft using the TCAS system and I could control what I saw be it above me, level with me or below me. I have been able to do this with the PMDG aircraft for years now. I guess I just expected that this was normal operation for the TCAS system. When the patch changed what I saw and how with TCAS I posted the question to the team. I will also point out that I am not the only person who is asking the question so I will guess from reading other posts that other users have been able to do the same thing as I was and they are also asking what happened with the TCAS system. I understand if this is a correction to make the system function as it really does but it also asks the question was it wrong for all these years when it functioned differently. I am also confused why they made the change and took away the ability to select what you see i.e. only what is above you, what is level with you or what is below you. With the new patch you see only what is in conflict with you or everything in the air above, level and below you which is a major change at least for me. I am very happy with the performance of the patched aircraft and only confused by what happened with the TCAS system. If this is how it works for real then I am all for it. It would have been nice to have a better explanation about the change and acknowledgment that the system did not work correctly for years before the patch. As a test I went back to FS9 and checked both the B737 and B744 and found that the 737 does in fact display the aircraft while the 744 which I patched does not. So I find that the patched B744 aircraft for both FS9 and FSX work the same while the older FS9 B737 aircraft still works the way I remember it always has. I want to again state that I am very happy with the patched B744 and I think PMDG is a great company and I look forward to more aircraft from them in the future. I hope that I have clearly explained the TCAS issue and that I have also explained that I understand what was changed.Have a good day.

Guest Oz_Animal

Hi again James.I do understand what you are saying. In short and only my opinion the TCAS was incorrect in the past (In regards to the real thing) & now it's corrected.As far as the above below function I don't use that as I only want to know what is going to "Hit" me and thats it. I will have a good look at it shortly and let you know what mine is doing. (It could be an issue)??To clarify the FSUIPC comment in my first post I was refering to it not going to show 80nm of data if "show all aircraft" is off. (Written badly by me as usual. :)Below is an extract from the Manual and there is no mention of the above/below etc...Its ok, I never read instructions either and I bet it is listed somewhere else anyway...lolTCAS: The TCAS option set allows the user to customize the manner in which TCAS interfaceswith the simulator and the amount of information displayed. TCAS can display traffic by using thetraffic information interface provided by FSUIPC, or directly from within the FSX SimConnect Structure. (Ifflying online- use the FSUIPC interface.)The TCAS module can limit the amount of traffic displayed to the user on the Navigation Display. Adjust thisvalue to suit personal taste.The TCAS2 system used on the 747-400 automatically suppresses the display of aircraft trafficthat is not immediately in conflict with the airplane. As such, the only time traffic will be displayedis when it presents the potential for a traffic conflict and/or a resolution advisory. Some usersmay wish to be able to see non-conflicting traffic, however and selecting the Show All Non-ThreateningTraffic option will allow the user to see all surrounding traffic rather than only conflict traffic.RegardsSteve

The behavior of TCAS has changed in the update...Copied directy from "Changes for the PMDG 747-400X Flight SimulatorX (FSX)":28. PMDG Options "TCAS Show All Traffic" setting now ignores Above/N/Below switch in order to show all traffic. (Above/N/Below switch still functions correctly if "all traffic" is not selected.) - Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest Oz_Animal

Thanks BillJames, I don't seem to be able to detect any aircraft using the A/B Switch with All Aircraft off. I spose and I'm trying not to sound to dumb here, one needs to know what the actual paramaters are??...lolAs I said I have never used it so maybe someone could tell us the distances / conflict conditions etc for the A/B switch.Steve