Sign in to follow this  

Terrascene near Whitehorse?

Guest bfindlay

Well folks, I did it! Got a job in Whitehorse, and I am moving to the Yukon this month. Would love to see the scenery in the area improved. The airport is pretty much all that is there - the city and Yukon river, and dam and lake are missing. Is there a quick and easy way to render the terrain for this area ala Terrascene? I have never done so, and frankly will not be able to any time soon, (Moving details - selling house, getting there, starting new job!) but if you know of a way, or someone who does this, I would love to see the surrounding details improved near my new home airport!!ADVthanksANCE

If you have the source files already for rendering this area in Terrascene, you can import the Terrascene scenery into FS2002 using Terrabuilder (although it can be done without Terrabuilder if you are well versed in the undocumented features of the Terrain SDK). The process is very straightforward:1) Take the .tga generated by Terrascene, and convert it to a bitmap. Make sure you know the lat/lon of each of the four corners.2) Import it into Terrabuilder and process, following the directions outlined in Terrabuilder.3) Install the scenery into FS2002.You don't see Terrascene scenery for 2k2 floating around in the libs due to the large size/bandwidth issues involved. But you can create your own easily, as I have for Lake Tahoe and the Napa Valley. And it looks great! I'll post a screenshot of my Tahoe scenery to this thread sometime today....-John

HI,Dunno, may be of some interest to you.There are no textures in the package, but the Alaska-Yukon Base Terrain CD jumps the terrain resolution to 76.2m, which is quite an improvement from the default.It's resampled from the Yukon RRGIS 90m DEM.This isn't meant to be commercial post, just an FYI. Moderators, my apologies in advance if it crosses the line. :-)Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.com

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Here's my promised shots of the Tahoe Terrascene/Terrabuilder scenery. The A/C is the Flight1 Cessna 421c, and the shots have been compressed to save bandwidth on my dial-up connection:

Guest bfindlay

John - thanks for the response. I have never done anything with Terrascene - I am just aware that it exists. As far as I know, it only uses USGS data - that is good for the continental US only. I have no idea where to get appropriate data, or where to render it either.Does TS also include elevation/mesh information when it renders, or does it 'paint' on top of whatever terrain is allready present?I would be interested in finding out how to do this. There was another post in this thread about '75m' mesh being an improvement. What mesh does 2k2 use as default?Thanks for your help!

"Does TS also include elevation/mesh information when it renders, or does it 'paint' on top of whatever terrain is allready present?"Since Terrascene was designed for Fly2k!/Fly II, it can import elevation mesh for those sims. For FS2002, you can only import a targa converted into a bitmap, which is indeed "painted" onto the existing Terrain.I don't use a lot of third party mesh--and the mesh I do use is freeware. I don't know what res. mesh 2k2 uses by default.Back to Terrascene--since 2k2 can only import the ground textures, I tell Terrascene to skip rendering of the mesh. I'm only interested in the Targa it outputs. But I'm not the best person to walk someone through the process--you can find better support for Terrascene in the Terrascene forum, and Misho is always there to help in the Terrabuilder forum. The Tahoe scenery I made uses the default mesh, and covers a 40x40 mile area at 7M resolution. It took me about 2 hours to complete the project...-John

Hi there,perhaps part of what you're looking for can be seen on my screenshot.It's a freeware addon containing quite a lot of airports and scenery improvements in YT, even small locations like Haines Junction and Burwash Landing. It originally was designed for FS2000 by Bill Freeborn but works as well in FS2002.I am sure I once had a scenery file containing the city of Whitehorse as well (at least some buildings where the city is located *g*), but unfortunately I can't find it anymore.The file mentioned above can be found here, at the very bottom of the page:http://www.simviation.com/fs2000scenery47.htmWhat also can be seen on my shot are the FSLandclass Pack for North-Western America (including AB, BC, YT and Alaska) as well as the Canada Gaia Mesh, both of them I can highly recommend.At last, I envy you deeply for moving to Whitehorse. I spent some days on vacation in Whitehorse and the Kluane region last summer and just fell in love with this pretty town :-)Take careOtto

Guest Lizardo

There's a Whitehorse here, fo FS2000 (unkown by me if works for 2k2)ytcs1.zip

Guest bfindlay

Cool - that is close to what I am talking about!! Will give it a peak and see.Thanks. :-)Yes - Whitehorse is beautiful. I live in Dawson Creek (Mile Zero), and just went up this July - things fell together, and I start work this September. Gonna buy me an airplane there as well! Ahh - I miss flying since I sold the 172. Need a faster bird though!Cheers.

Guest Lizardo

I did try it out..works fine. (Canada GAIA mesh in use. www.fsfreeware.com)

Didn't notice your request until today... Won't be able to add a Tahoe shot until this evening (although the second pic shows South Lake Tahoe and a glimpse of the lake's southern portion).-John

Guest bfindlay

So where did you get this Canada GAIA mesh? I searched on the fsfreeware site, but found nothing. What resolution is it? How does it compare to stock?

Look here:http://www.fsproject.com/ga_ca/ca_ga.shtmlThey sell it on CD for $17.99; it might be kind of 30m Mesh.While it isn't as good and detailed as the new LAGO Terramesh series for Europe, they surely enhance the Canada scenery.Give me another 30 minutes and I can post a handful of comparison screenies.Otto

Hi again,here are some screenshots for comparison - standard mesh and Gaia mesh Canada.While you possibly won't see a huge difference, the overall effect is IMHO good enough :-)Otto