Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

e-dimensional opinions?

Anyone got these glasses? What do you think?I know that there's been some discussion of these, but I'm not able to find anything in the archive search, and I am hoping that people have had enough time with them now to get over any initial "wow" factor or problems.What do you think of the effect? Do you fly with them all of the time? What about resolution limits? I currently fly at 1024x768 just so I can have anti-aliasing enabled (I prefer this over 1600x1200 without anti-aliasing).I have a GeForce ti-200. I understand that that the current Geforce drivers basically have support for these glasses built in? Any problems with driver updates or compatability that I should be aware of?Any problems with headaches or other adverse effects during long flights? What about the impact on FS2k2's FPS?Anyone try them on other games (i.e. fps shooters?)Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, how much is my wife going to be making fun of them when I wear them (i.e. what is the dork factor?)Thanks in advance!

Guest nhill

Hi Mackenson. I picked up an pair from here at Avsim a week or so ago. Here are my comments. 1) I like them, they definitly give you the feeling of depth. 2) You will need to fiddle the controls to get them set up as you need to set up several parameters such as far distance and close up distance (to get panels/virtual panels set up clearly) among others. 2) I had to drop down to 800 x 600 because you need a refresh of more than 100Hz (or you get flickers) and my monitor could only do 120 Hz at the lower resolution. If you have a better monitor this wouldn't be a problem. The glasses don't look too bad but using them with glasses (which I use) is a little more trouble, usable but not not real comfortable unless you have small (narrow?) frames. I would like to see "a clip on" version for glasses users. 3) I don't wear them all the time because a) you get some light loss :( for me at least with using glasses they add weight (nose slippage!!) and c) seeing they are futher from my eyes limit the usable size of the screen. I have not gotten any headaches though I have have used them on for more than an hour at a time.I am glad I got them and enjoy flying around the U.S. Northwest (ie: lots of mountains) to get the feeling of depth perception to the max.Hope this helps. i have IR version, Geforce4-440

I too, bought the glasses recently and am pleased overall. The support is not built into the Det drivers by nvidia, you need to download a seperate stereo driver of about 5MB. There are some guys that say certain Det. drivers work better with the stereo driver than others, but I question how much better. I cant test this out myself because I cant find some of the older drivers they are talking about. I think that it definitely adds alot of depth to the game, but I am yet to get to 100% seperation which some guys seem to have no trouble with.As far as the dork factor goes, yes they are a little dorky and my wife laughed a little, but she quit laughing when she used them herself. I bought the wired version, and they work fine for what I am doing with them (hour flights at the most). I say they are definitely worth it, and I havent even upgraded to a good monitor yet. Im still using a 15" CompUSA piece o' poop. 75 hertz is the best I can do on refresh, so I imagine that I will have nothing but praise when I get a new monitor soon. I say go for the buy, if you end up not liking them, I think they sell well on ebay.Craig