Sign in to follow this  

Is the GF2 a bottleneck in my system?

Have a P4 1.7GHz 512MB RDRAM, GF2 MX440, Intel 845 Mobo. My FPS are around 20, 15 at Simflyer's with scenery density no higher than dense. However, this is a little slow, and I'd like to crank up the sliders and get better quality. I was thinking perhaps a GF4 4400 or 4600 and 512 MB of PC3000 RAM to replace the RD.Thanks for any help,Greg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

IMHO what you are getting is pretty darn good. I really do not see you gaining any more than maybe 5-7fps if you upgrade.John

Really? :-) Anyway, I though the faster the CPU, a faster video card is better. From what I hear a GF2 is more suited to a P3. Cheers,

Yes your Geforce 2 is probably a bottleneck on your system. I also have a Geforce 2 MX400 with an AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz and 256MB DDR Ram. When the Geforce 3s came out one of my friends bought one and he let me try it in my computer for a day and I did notice an increase in fps. In situations where it would start to get choppy the Geforce 3 kept it smooth. Also the 3dMark2001 and 2002 scores doubled. But I'm still stuck with the Geforce 2 and hope to upgrade soon...Jason

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm only getting ~4000 3D Mark scores, is that about average for my specs?Thanks,Greg