Sign in to follow this  

NDIS.VXD - help needed urgently please

Hi all,I am in the process of building a new system based around a P4 2.2GHz, GF4 4400Ti and SB Audigy player mounted on a Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo. My 'old' drive contents (o/s :Windows 98, fully updated, but NOT a formal 2nd Edition (Windows98SE) installation) have been imaged onto a new IBM 120GXP 40GB and all seemed well. The 'old' original system is still up and running and is very stable. My intention is to achieve a dual boot system with Windows XP on a second drive.Before I proceed to install Windows XP I need to ensure that my imaged W98 installation is still stable. First impressions following installation of all the requisite drivers are encouraging and benchmarking with 3DMark 2001 produces a figure >9100 (2700 approx. on my old PIII800/GF2GTS 32MB/440BX Soyo MoBo) which isn't bad at all!However, I've run into a problem and am hoping there is a willing guru out there who can help.As my new system boots it stops while loading the Window's drivers and the following error message appears:'While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error'In fact it is possible to get into windows by bypassing the NDIS.VXD file by loading all the drivers via the STEP by STEP configuration option and Windows seems OK.I deduce that this file has something to do with networking and/or dial-up connection as my system hangs whenever I try to run the diagnostics on my modem.Reinstalling Windows over itself either from within Windows or from DOS in an effort to correct the problem has not worked as Setup fails during the file installation phase with blue screen errors! Fortunately no harm has been done.Similarly, deleting the file and restoring it to the windowssystem directory from the W98 CD changes nothing.I don't want to be forced to format and reinstall from scratch as there is a hell of a lot of stuff on my HD (including FS2000/FS2002) and I just don't have the time or inclination to reconfigure everything. Ultimately, I imagine I will be moving over gradually to Windows XP but I need to ensure that my existing system continues to serve me well in the forseeable future and during the 'winding down' period of the transition.Having researched the problem I discover Microsoft have produced a fix but this appears to be Windows 98SE specific. This I have confirmed on trying to run the downloaded executable.I am hoping someone else has encountered this problem and can suggest another solution. Otherwise, I may be forced to be content with getting into Windows 98 via the Step by Step configuration approach and skip this offending ndis.vxd virtual device driver each time. Unfortunately this would mean access to modem facilities would be denied in Windows 98 which would be a real pain.(I've also posted this more appropriately in the Hardware section but, as we all know, the reality is that most folk visit this forum at some stage and I am praying I will catch the attention of those of you who may have encountered this problem before. Please feel free to post a reply there.)Mike :-wave

Mike - The problem is most likely related to either the network card or it's drivers (or both). Have you tried either disabling the NIC or removing it entirely? Also, are there any IRQ conflicts for either the NIC or the modem showing in Device Manager? I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd really recommend a reformat/reinstall on the Win98 partition to get things properly sorted before the XP install (it's much more difficult to fix once the dualboot is established).TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

There's a couple of ways to go about clearing the problem....One is to kill the entry for NDIS.VXD in the registry so that it doesn't load, but that is dangerous to remotely talk someone through.The other method is to right click Net Neighborhood, access properties, and remove all network drivers, clients, adapters, tcp/ip and other network protocols. Net Neighborhood should be completely empty. Then you reboot, and reinstall them. Make sure you have access to the Windows cab files or CD's.... Most likely the cab files are on your system, in WindowsOptionsCabs. You'd want to log any DUN entries you have so you don't lose them. This has cleared up many an error for me in the field. I usually service machines where people have swapped out drives or replaced network cards, and the network settings point to adapters which aren't present any more...-John

Mike,I'm going to disagree with Trip and offer you the second opinion you were hoping for... Don't format.If I understand you correctly, you have imaged your Win98 install from an old system onto a new one. Keep in mind that all the old system hardware will still be listed in the registry, unless you actually went in and deleted it.Start Windows in Safe Mode. Have a look in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager. Delete all items you find that relate to the old system. If you're not sure about something, delete it and let Windows re-install it when you boot normally. The worst thing that will happen here is that you will kill the Windows Plug'n'Play functionality and you will have to force the new hardware detection.As was suggested earlier, make sure you have the installation files, including driver updates, handy (ie, on the hard disk, expanded, ready to install).I like the suggestion of deleting and re-installing all of your network components.Have you installed any chipset drivers that came with the motherboard?Good luck!Doug Dawson

You've certainly given me hope and a great deal to chew on..LOLAs part of the pre-imaging preparation I caried out the following:1. Thorough Disk Scan using Norton DiskDoctor - no errors found.2. In SAFE mode I deleted all the files in the WindowsInfOther directory.3. I deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEEnum keyThat last certainly caused all sorts of problems initially as Windows refused to scan for Plug-and-Play devices. The solution came about when ACPI Power Management support was installed - forget how I achieved this - you know how it is - you bumble around trying this and that until something works, then you forget what you did as you move onto the next problem. APM was on my old system which I had in fact disabled. When I looked in the Device Manager after loading Windows for the first time in the new system setup it was completely empty. Once ACPI PM was installed P&P detection was again available.

Hmm...You might try booting to a DOS prompt and typing SCANREG /FIXIt shouldn't hurt to have the NIC installed and functional. If it is not, this is likely why you don't have a network neighborhood icon on your desktop. You should, however, be able to disable it in the BIOS setup routine if you really don't want it around.ACPI doesn't offer many of us any real functionality, but, if it is working correctly, I don't think it should be your enemy. See if you can disable it in BIOS setup - doesn't look like you can disable it within Win98.You might try running the Detect Hardware function in the Control Panel. Make sure everything is installed.Find your very best Louisville Slugger. Apply violence. }>Doug