Sign in to follow this  

IFR Flight Without The FMC-----Is It possible?

I think the idea was to anticipate the controllers istructions, by selecting the new heading before it's actually given. I also use this technique to fly SIDs which are not in the FMC database. Say, the RW heading is 64 degrees, and the SID requires me tp turn 105 degrees at 3DME from airport VOR, I have 105 dialled in to the HDG SEL before take-off, so I just wait for the DME to read 3, and then press HDG SEL, when it will turn to 105 degrees. In high workload phases, such as TO and landing, I don't want to fiddle with the MCP more than absolutely necessary, so it makes sense to have everything set up as far in advance as possible.Cheers,Gosta.

That's exactly correct Gotsa :)The intent is to anticipate the NEXT command and have it already set so it is just a button push. The click spots near the knobs can be tricky to grab sometimes, and the last thing I want to do it accidentally grab the bank limiter switch when I'm going for the HDG SEL knob! :)Martin, this technique actually decreases the workload in high workload situations, like landing and takeoff. I do the same thing as Gotsa mentions for takeoff, esp. out of Atlanta. For instance, When I depart 27R on ATL4, SOONE departure...the standard procedure is to get a heading change to 250 right after takeoff to spread out the departing parallel traffic, then either another heading change to vector to SOONE or a direct SOONE if able.So, I set 250 in the window, takeoff, stabilize and engage the AP (although the real Delta 767 pilots hand fly it most of the time, you have to remember we are single pilot on a dual-pilot aircraft...talk about double workload!) :) When I get the call to turn 250, I just hit the HDG SEL knob, and I

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg