Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Another strange Free PIC Editor problem...

For some reason, the approach files aren't giving the FMC the right info on where it's ending the flight and landing - as a result, VNAV profile info is not being calculated by the FMC.This is using the new FPE 2.34 with Richard's AIRAC 206.Here's exactly what I did to test this on the very basic KTUS-KPHX route:Here are the files I made:A DP file, the KTUS TUS6, consisting of the TUS VOR.A DP transition file, TUS6.SUNSS, containing the fix SUNSSA STAR file, the KPHX SUNSS4, containing the fix SUNSS with a 250/12000 restriction on it, and the fix HOOPS.An IAP file for the ILS26 containing the fixes JAGAL and PRUNN, the runway, and the missed approach fix AVENT with a 210/5000 restriction.Load up the plane at KTUS on RW11L. Use the DEP/ARR page to select that route, close the discos and activate and exec it. Set the perf page up for cruise at 12000, CI 80, step size 0, and then flaps 5 on the takeoff page. Now go look at the legs page - when I do this, it has no data on the right side except for the TUS VOR which has something nuts like 280/4351 next to it. All the others are blank. It's as if the FMC doens't know where it's landing and thus can't calculate a vertical profile.Now here's the wierd part: if you sit on the ground in TUS and program each waypoint individually on the legs page, it works flawlessly. This is making me thing there might be a problem with the way the new version of the Free PIC Editor is writing the approach file, since it seems like the message that I want to land on RWY26 in KPHX is not getting through to the FMC. The RW26 waypoint is there, it's just that it doesn't know that's the end of the flight. No circle appears around it like it does when you program everything manually. My DP's made with this version work, it's when I use an STAR/approach, that it messes up.Terry, if you're reading this, (I'll send an email too) can you tell what's going wrong? I've always made my files this way and they've worked perfectly until now.Thanks!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok, I've got the problems narrowed down:1. I'm absolutely positive now that the approach files are causing the FMC to not know where it's landing: At Lamont Duncan's suggestion via email, I tried a longer route, KDEN-KORD. I programmed the KDEN YELLO1.HANKI DP and the KORD MCW.JVL4 STAR and it did the exact same thing as the KTUS-KPHX flight I was trying earlier. Blank VNAV info except for the first few lines which made no sense. If I sat on the ground in DEN however and manually programed it - BAM, it worked correctly.2. I've also discovered that altitude restrictions in general are not working. I don't know how I missed this earlier, but I just tested it and sure enough I can't get any altitude restrictions made in FPE to show up. Speed seems to work fine though. I'm going to start comparing the text files themselves to ones I have that I know work and see if I can further narrow the problem down to a specific area of each waypoint definition...Two other bugs I found:1. When creating a DP runway specific transition, if you check the "Runway" box, enter the runway name, but then don't click in one of the adjacent text boxes, the program never realizes that you clicked the runway box and it ends up making a .tr file instead of a .rwy file.2. Not really a bug, but in the text files it says "Created by Free PIC Editor 2.31, not 2.34. What's odd though is that my old files say 2.33 - how would it have gotten moved back down to 2.31???Thanks,Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well that didn't take long... ;)Here's the problem:This is my older KORD RWY22 file:

; This Terminal Procedure generated on 3/24/2002 by Free PIC Editor V2.33W,NOLEN,,0 ,42.164856,-87.710625,0,0,0,0,0,W,RIDGE,,0 ,42.054836,-87.832886,0,0,0,0,0,W,RW22R,,15,41.997547,-87.896362,0,0,0,668,0,W,DPA,,0 ,41.890361,-88.350186,108.40,0,0,4000,0,End of Terminal Procedure

And here's the one I just made:

; This Terminal Procedure generated on 6/26/2002 by Free PIC Editor V2.31W,NOLEN,,0,42.164856,-87.710625,0,0,0,0,0,W,RIDGE,,0,42.054836,-87.832886,0,0,0,0,0,W,RW22R,,15,41.997547,-87.896362,0,0,668,0,0,W,DPA,,0,41.890361,-88.350186,108.40,0,4000,0,0,End of Terminal Procedure

The altitudes are in the wrong field! If I'm not mistaken, that first field is for when you have a dual constraint, above one alt and below another. I changed the more recent file to match the old one and it works like a charm!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest lamont

Hey Tabs,Terry fixed the problem and posted 2.35 on his website. Thanks Terry. Btw Tabs, great detective work because that was exactly the problem.

Terry,The old bug from 2.32 where hitting "at or above" on an alt restriction caused it to actually input an "at or below" order has returned in 2.35...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest stang

Well for those following this saga I think I've fixed all these problems above and have them installed in version 2.35 on my site at flightassist.tripod.com/index.htm. Sorry for the inconvenience. Somehow some old code got back into soup and screwed things up so I have to fix previously fixed bugs. If you all find anything else just let me know and I will attempt to get them fixed ASAP. Thanks Ryan for alerting me.RegardsTerryAuthor of Free PIC Editor

is it possible someone could supply a link to Terry's site. The Address from his post does not work. The Tripod page say's the page I'm looking for does not exsist. HELP would be appreciated.GaryAAL214