Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muppet22

'Rich' fuel control switch

Guest Muppet22

Anyone know if being able to select 'Rich' on the fuel control switch is a feature common to all 757's - as opposed to only the 'RUN' and 'CUTOFF' options available on the 767?

"Rich"? Rich and lean are concepts that I associate with mixture knobs and piston engines, not jet engines. Course, I could be wrong there... Specifically where did you see a reference to "rich" and 757s? Perhaps that'll help us answer your question.Thanks,P

Guest pwapilot

:-hmmm I've never heard of a "rich" fuel control on any Boeing aircraft. :-hmmm

Guest lou ross

How about the B-17? It had high and low blower. lr.

Guest Muppet22

A large British scheduled airline have the option installed on their 757's - seems the advantage being it initially schedules additional fuel for engine start.It seems from the reaction so far that this almost unheard of? So unlikely that many, if any other carriers have this option installed?

Don't know about the 757, but the 747 Classic has 'em. Not so unusual to us ol' timers ;-)Cheers.Ian.

Hey Tom,As far as I am aware, the 'rich' setting for the fuel control switches are for Rolls Royce engines only. However, I could be wrong. As Ian stated in his reply, the 747 classics have this extra setting too. However, the 747-200 showcased in the ITVV Virgin Atlantic DVD has Pratt and Whitney engines, but still has this extra setting.I know BA's 757 fleet has this extra setting. I could only assume that the 767 fleet has the same. Im sorry I cant be of any more help at the minute mate.Regards,Lee Holland.BAW446 - Senior Captain - Boeing 757/767 FleetBritish Airways Virtual.P.S Your signature is fantastic Tom. Could you advise me on how to implement that in my signature on here and on the BAV forums if possible ?

Guest iaflyer

I can say with certainty that the 747-100 and -200 with P&W engines has a "Rich" setting on the start levers. (The choices are Cutoff, Rich and Lean). These airplanes are from several different airlines. On these airplanes, the Rich setting schedules 100 pounds per hour more fuel flow than Lean during start. Rich is designed to be used when the temperature is below 0C - it's supposed to enhance starting in cold weather. After the engine reaches normal RPM, the fuel flow returns to normal. Hope it helps..iaflyer

Guest HPSOV

Spot on. Our 767-200's with P&W JT9D engines have the RICH position, used for starting when temp below 0C. Once the enigne is stable you just put the switch back into RUN.

Guest qballbandit

Good post, and good replies.I had seen that on the Charity Flight Procedures I downloaded, in their checklist, and wondered about the setting myself.Thanks! Neil