Sign in to follow this  
Guest captbulldog

unlimited visibility?

Guest 737767

When I download real weather I get realistic clouds, winds and temperature but the visibility is always set as unlimited. I have had this problems the last few weeks and I don

I don't know why this happens as often as it does. I merely change vis to about 20-30 miles...which seems more realistic to me, and easier on frame rates...Sherman KaplanHighland Park Il

Guest 737767

Ni fact I change visibility manually to 10-2o as well but everytime I fly into the reporting area of a new station, the visibility resets to unlimited. This is especially anoying when I know that there is heavy fog in my town...

Guest RonB49

I have not noticed this. Is there any possibility that some setting in FSUIPC could be overriding the downloaded visibility? This is, assuming that you use FSUIPC. R-

From your signature (EDDH) I suppose you're flying in Europe? European METAR data reports visibilities of up to 10 kilometers only (that's about 5.4 nm). Thus whenever the METAR report states visibility as "9999", MSFS will interprete this as unlimited, while in reality it might be anywhere between 6 nm and "unlimited". Well, at least that's the best explanation I can come up with.Try flying in really bad weather, you should get limited visibilities then.Oh, and no, I don't know a fix for this problem, sorry :-(. Maybe FSMeteo would give you more realistic weather, but I don't have that software (yet), so I can't comment on that.

Guest BrianC

In fact, in the U.S. the METARs show good visibility as only "P6SM", meaning "plus (greater than) 6 statute miles". Around here in the Midwest the ATIS reports, and I believe automated ASOS stations, report only up to 10 miles.In the summertime in the American Midwest, visibility is rarely more than 15 miles on a nice day. Days of unlimited visibility do occasionally happen, and boy are they a sight to behold. :)You pilots out west are spoiled... ;)Speaking of visibility, one thing that bugs me about lowering visibility in FS2002 is that it limits only horizontal visibility, while the sky above remains quite blue. In reality, when you're down in the haze the sky turns whitish too, not just things in the horizontal distance.Brian

Guest 737767

Thank you guys! In fact I am flying from Hamburg in northern Germany. I just tried to start from KDTW where the visibility was NOT unlimited ;) . Applying the randomly override METAR maximums in FSUIPC did unfortunately not resolve the problem.Thanks for your explanations anyway!

Guest captbulldog

I hate the blue fog with limited visibility. Is there a way to make it grey like fog or brownish like haze?