Sign in to follow this  

Need help with 2 monitor setup for FS2002

Gents,I have never tried this before, but I would like to setup a second monitor to run FSflightmax on while I sim.I know you need a second graphics card (I have an old tnt2), and a second monitor (duh), but after that..... I am lost.I have heard talk of "wide FS" in the flightmax forums, is that also required ? Could someone please advise me on how to set this up, and is it reasonable to expect a performance hit, or strain on the system, with this type of setup ?Thanks, :-)Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Guest gasebah

High Roger,not to be rude but that topic has been covered so many times here on that forum that I would suggest you do a search. You will find everything you need to know. Regarding flightmax there are two ways to do it. Either you are running flightmax on a 2nd monitor but on the same computer. You will have a small fps hit than. Or you can run flightmax on a 2nd computer. This will need WideFS and a networked computer. In this case flightmax will not give you a framerate hit at all. Instead it will run faster than with 1 monitor on the same computer.Alex

I am trying to be rude but can't think of anything right now... :-lol :-lolGot to >STart>Settings>Control Panel>DisplayClick on SettingsYou should now see 2 monitors depicted in the large window.Click your mouse on the nr. 2It will ask you if you want to enable this monitorHit the 'YES' buttonYou can then arrange the settings for your monitor like resolution, colors etc.By dragging it around the window you decide which monitor is left and which one is right.Your cursor should now also move from one monitor to the other, as if the actual screen continues on the next one.Hope this helps (by the way, I run Win98 and Win ME).I promise to say something rude next ttime ;-)Kind regards,Francois :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Gents,Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. And Francois, thanks for the pass on being rude this time :-lolI did try a search today, but every time the progress bar reaches 50% (blue bar on ie) a blank page loads, and my ISP dumps my 56K connection. This is not a problem with Avsim, but one of the many issues with my ISP's dial up software & service. I am aware of it and am switching to a digital modem & provider as of the beginning of Sept.Geez guys, I have been around here for 2 years and you think I wouldn't try searching first. :-rollThanks again for your help,Roger http://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Guest gasebah

O.K. if we are starting this I will add some more.Using one computerU can simply grab flightmax and pull it over to the 2nd monitor. To move over other stuff like e.g. your radio stack, open it and then rightclick on it. You will have an option in the pulldown called "unlock window". Choose that. Now you can move the window over.Very important (also I am not sure this applies to every setup): If you want to run FS2002 in full screen mode go to your graphics settings (in FS2002). In the display adaptor section you wil have three entries: 1. Primary grphics adaptor 2. Display 1/..... 3. Display 2/..... Choose Display 1 instead of primary. Otherwise you will not be able to move the mouse over to the other monitor, except you use workarounds that all won't really do the job.Using two computersYou will need a patch that can be found in the Forum's download section of Flightmax.Maybe that spares you some try and error. Next time I will be rude again :-).Alex

Alex & Francois,Thanks for all the info. All seems to be running o.k. with the two vid card/1 pc setup. I think tomorrow I will mess around with networking a couple computers and see which I prefer.I still can't search without a disconnect/p-loss from msn. Has something to do with their remotes, or the dial up utility software that they provide, or both. Complete junk, I can't wait to get the Cox guy in here to put the digital outlet in.Alex: I don't know you very well since I have not been around much lately, and most of my previous time at Avsim was spent in the FLY! and PMDG forums. But rest assured, those that know me around here know that I don't ask questions without looking first, and I used to scold quite a few folks in the FLY! forum (back in the old forums as "rog182")for doing just that. So there won't be a "next time", as long as my connection is solid.Thanks,Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) I am trying to be rude but can't think of anything right now (...)"Can I help (wide and wicked grin)?!Jaap Verduijn.

:-lol :-lol :-lol :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog