Sign in to follow this  

Squawkbox keeps disappearing!

Hi,I have just upgraded to XP from ME. I am using 2 PCs networked together, using Wideclient and FS2002/FSUIPC.For some reason I had trouble networking my 2 PCs. As I understand it XP uses TCP/IP and normally works well. In my case after many hours of trouble-shooting and it wasn't until I added IPX/SPX, on both PCs, that they finally began to talk to one another.I can load FS2002 on my main PC and Wideclient on my second PC. Both FS2002 and Wideclient connect. BTW the only way I can get FS2002 and Wideclient to talk to one another by using TCP/IP!!OK, I now go to load Squawkbox and the usual Multiplayer setup screen appears. Click TCP/IP and the 'Search' window appears. Start search and finds the name of my multiplayer game name.But when I click 'Join' the screen goes blank, leaving just the Wideclient screen. At one time I was getting on the FS screen 'Squawkbox has left'. Then about 3 mins later I receive a Squawkbox fault screen.Any suggestions on how to overcome my problem will be most appreciated. No need to tell me to throw my PC out of the window - I have come close to doing that already - I assure you!RegardsDon Fraser UK

Hi DonMaybe a silly question, but... do you start SB Host before starting Squawkbox.exe?Regards

Hi Mats,No I dont use SB Host as I use 2 monitors which I gather simulates FS2000.Thanks for your input.RegardsDon

Hi Don>No I dont use SB Host as I use 2 monitors which I gather simulates FS2000.I thought you had to start Squawkbox.exe in some kind of host indow, either the 'SB Host.exe' that's shipped with SB or the FS2002 'HostSB.dll'. I run SB on a second puter and I have always started 'SB Host.exe' before running 'Squawkbox.exe'Regards

Hi Mats,OK thanks for that info. I didn't use SB Host in my previous setup but now I am on XP maybe I will give it a try!I will let you know how I get on..... (fingers crossed!)RegardsDon

Hi againActually I got somewhat curious about your issue so I tried to replicate your problem.1. Start FS2002 on main PC2. Engage Multiplayer session3. Start WideClient on 2nd PC - Connect!4. Start Squawkbox.exe on 2nd PC - without the host window5. Multiplayer Connect window appear - click OK6. Multiplayer Games window appear - click Start Search7. MP Game found - click Join8. SB crashes9. In FS - "Squawkbox has left the session"You got to start your host! That's what I say... ;-)Hope it helpsBTW. I run on Win98SE, both machines. I doubt you have started without the host before. But I have been wrong before. ;-)

Hi Mats,I haven't forgotten you! I have been having PC problems but I eventually managed to get it to work using the 'host' window. Previously I didn't need the 'host' but it may be caused by my networking problem which I hope to get sorted out later next week!ThanksDon

Hi Mats,Now sorted. I assume it was a network issue because after sorting out my network it all worked!Thanks for your interest.RegardsDon

Glad to hear you got it all sorted :-)See you up there!