Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

A pilot complaint

Gentlemen,I have a complaint which I hope will be seen as constructive.I have just spent the last hour trying to find chart tutorials, but have drawn a blank. I can easily find tutorials on becoming a controller but pilot tutorials...forget it.Years ago when I joined SATCO I downloaded a number of tutorials from thier excellent ground school but those documents do not seem to exist.VATSIM-UK used to have a good source of tutorials but the apparent never ending web site upgrades and those of UKVPO seem to have lost those.All this effort was to try to help a new pilot in another forum learn to read IAP, SID & STAR charts, the only way it seems possible is to e-mail my old tutorials downloaded from SATCO.Many controllers complain about 'Muppets', is it any wonder when such basic information as chart tutorials are not readily available?Goodness knows we can make Muppets of ourselves even when experienced so what chance the newbie?May I suggest, as a matter of urgency, VATSIM looks at bringing on line a ground school with useful resources for new pilots.Rant off.Rgds

Actually, VATSIM is looking to do a lot more than provide a ground school and a few resources. The pilot training side of the online flight simulations experience has long been a neglected. We hope to end that shortly. I am not a pilot and have never taken any type of ground school or flight training. May I suggest that in the interim, you can try to learn how to read charts the way I did.......by studying them. :-kewlAll kidding aside, get yourself some real world charts for whatever area you are interested in. These can be inexpensive and in some instances (if you hit up flight schools or FBOs at the beginning of a new cycle)even free. They are not that hard to figure out and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them on here. We'll be happy to answer.Good Luck.George S. MarinakisVP Operations (VATSIM6/VATGOV2)VATSIM Board of Governors

Thanks for the response George,>We hope to end that shortlyThey are not that hard to figure out

Hi Again.===============================================>I don't wish to offend anyone but that situation seems to >have been ongoing for quite a time. I think it was last year >that mention was made of pilot exams to reduce the number of >'Muppets', a great idea but pointless given the lack of >pilot training facilities. >>I know it isn't true but the impression given by all the >controller training and little pilot training is that on >line flying is all about ATC, who needs pilots. ===============================================No offense taken. Its a good question. An "ATC only" community is absolutely not the impression that VATSIM wants to give. All I can say is that setting up the type of training we are talking about is a BIG job and an entire group of people are working on it. We are trying to do it right and that's going to take some time. I know you must realize that the group of individuals working on this are doing it in their spare time and they are doing the best they can.===============================================>They are if you have no background in aviation and can't >find the resources to help :-). What average person would >know what a MAP is, or a FAP, IAF, etc. ===============================================Probably no average person would have any idea what those acronyms stand for but are simmers average people???? :(My suggestion was sincere. I don't have an aviation background (nor do I have free access to materials like charts) but I have had a love of all things aviation since I was a kid and I learned how to read charts fairly well on my own. I guess what I'm saying is that where there's a will there's a way. When you run into an area that you can't figure out, all you have to do is ask and there's a good chance someone will be more than happy to help you out.Thanks for your kind words and don't hesitate to ask your questions.Best Wishes.George S. MarinakisVP Operations (VATSIM6/VATGOV2)VATSIM Board of Governors