Sign in to follow this  

VATSIM Web and IVAO Questions

I've noticed there seems to be some problems with VATSIM.net. After reading about VATSIM I decided it would really be something I'm interested in flying around in. When will the website be back up?Also, what's the difference between VATSIM and IVAO?I live and operate in the US, general aviation. Which would be the best choice for me.I want to use voice comms as well.Any suggestions on how to get started would be really appriciated.Thanks.

2 Major differences tween IVAO and VATSIM....1. Number of pilots and controllers.... on an average night in the US apx 250 people pilots and ATC are online.... whilst IVAO at the same time might have 802. Events - the VATSIM organization - has many events people whjo work to give you many LARGE events to fly or work.... giving you a glimpse into real traffic volumes....I am sure others have more contrasts and comparisons.... those came to me and its EARLY here Also I suggest you learn BOTH sides of the scope.... gives you a much greater appreciation for ATC when they get busy if it happens tro youRichard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

The "numbers" of online pilots/Atc is a function of what time you are looking and where you are wanting to fly. My recent observations with ServInfo points to both being about equal in numbers during the 1800 to 2200 Zulu time slot on weekdays. Again my observation, you will find the traffic more concentrated in Europe and GB then you normally find during the week in the US. Fly with IVAO in the afternoon and VATSIM at night if you live in the USA and really log some fun!I am sure they both would be happy to have you!

Great,Thanks for the responses.I've joined both, and have flown at least one flight with both so far. Great fun. Thanks to the controller that was espicially nice to me my first time on.I do have one more question.I'm somewhat confused on how to change frequencies when talking on the radio. It seems I've read a few conflicting sets of instructions.When tuning in controllers, can I use the regular radio inside of flight sim to tune? Do I need to type something into the input box in squak box? Or will using servinfo and hitting join do the trick for me like I did last time. It's hard to tell if just roger wilco is working, or if it is tuning everything correctly for the text as well.Thanks!

Guest ilh

If you click right on SB and choose a controller in the ATC Directory it will change your aircraft radios, fetch the controllers ATIS, and, if that ATIS contains a RW channel it will change RW for you. That's how I always change frequencies.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)UAL337N337LH