Sign in to follow this  

High Surface Winds Sunday June 2, 2002

While on approach to KMIA last night, I was cleared to land on KMIA rwy 12 by KMIA_CTR. My SBox ACARS was showing winds something like 150-10-G16 which should have been pretty manageable, right?Everything went perfect until the moment my B762ER's wheels touched down at which time my plane became uncontrollable -- it felt as if the wind was of hurricane magnitude, forcing the plane out of the runway towards the left with no response to any lateral controls.For the record, my standard FSUIPC configuration (version 2.85) *always" has surface winds set to "automatic" and to "1" (which should always prevent this problem), and all gusts are suppresed.I remember a year or two ago (before the VATSIM days), the *weather* servers were messed up and produced simlar hurricane force surface winds even though the wearther showed as being under 20 knots.Was there any weather server problems on June 2, 2002 that may have caused this? Or is it a FSUIPC bug?Thank you,Kerke (KMIA) :-wave---

Guest HepburnUGA

Hey Kerke, I think I landed right behind you last night at MIA. Whomever was in front of me made a comment about some funky winds to MIA CTR after landing. Anyways, I came in on RW12 ILS about 5 minutes later and had winds from 145 at 10 with gusts at 16-17 the whole way down. It got a little dicey with those gusts but nothing unmanagable. You may want to check your FSUIPC settings.... If you want to know any of my settings just let me know.Jeff

Hey Jeff, could you post a screenshot of your FSUIPC "Winds" tab page?Were you the Delta flight landing behind me last night? My KATL-KMIA flight was excellent up until touch down, then the surface winds were so high that I completely lost control of the plane.I hate it when that happens -- that's why I've always suppressed all surface winds on my FSUIPC, to avoid just that, but those settings didn't seem to work last night.Best regards,Kerke---

Guest HepburnUGA

Nope, I was Northwest 714 last night...I also did KATL-KMIA last night. When I took off I just had ATL approach but magically controllers seemed to pop up when I need them. Never had that happen before! :) I may have been two planes back, but I did note the comment about the winds. Anyways, I only have a sec now, but I will post those shots a little later on tonight.JeffEdit: Ok here it is. I must say, these settings suprised me! This is what I used last night, however this is definately not the way I usually have it set up (and I'm not quite sure why or how it was changed). Anyways, I hope this helps... http://www.arches.uga.edu/~jhepburn/fsuipc.jpg

>Nope, I was Northwest 714 last night...I also did KATL-KMIA >last night. When I took off I just had ATL approach but >magically controllers seemed to pop up when I need them. >Never had that happen before! :) I may have been two planes >back, but I did note the comment about the winds. Anyways, >I only have a sec now, but I will post those shots a little >later on tonight. >>Jeff >>Edit: Ok here it is. I must say, these settings suprised >me! This is what I used last night, however this is >definately not the way I usually have it set up (and I'm not >quite sure why or how it was changed). Anyways, I hope this >helps... >>http://www.arches.uga.edu/~jhepburn/fsuipc.jpg There was a thread on this same topic last week using FSMeteo and FSUIPC and by removing the check mark beside subterranean winds it corrected the winds that appeared to be locked.I had the same problem and by doing the above it did decrease the winds to 1 knot when I activated the taxi wind. Did about 20 flights with no problem and bang 4R KBOS same problem so I have reinstalled version 2.83 with no problems Good Luck Kenny G.