Sign in to follow this  

California Screamn' 6 - Had a blast!

Thanks to all who participated in CalScreamn6 today.I flew two flights. One from Portland to Burbank in a DC9-34 and another from KLAX to KSFO. Had a lot of fun! However, a couple of interesting things happened.As ASA422 "Alaska 422", my flight was uneventful until I got turned over to So_Cal App. Just as I was about to contact them, FS2002 fualted out (gdi.dll or something like that). So I had to reboot my PC and restart my flight in approximately the same position as I was before FS2002 went out on me. A little discouraged, but got it goin again and made a visual approach to RWY 15. Let me say it was real nice to see a lot of traffic along the way and the ATC coverage was superb! Must have contacted 3 Oakland centers on the way down.I had booked another flight UAL864, "United 864" from KLAX to KSFO. Just had time to get it set up and then it was time to go. LAX ground gave me taxi instructions and told me there was about a 15 minute wait on the ground for flights heading north. Sent me to a taxiway and told me I could shut down engines while waiting on taxiway D8. Watched a lot of traffic on the ground at LAX. Actually, the wait was just what I needed after what happened during the above flight. Finally got t/o clearance and departed KLAX 24L. Nice flight at FL280 and really felt good coming in to SFO. Good approach and everything going nice until I was about to touchdown SFO RWY 28L. Noticed my landing gear wasn't down and locked! Called tower and advised him I was aborting landing and climbing. No problem - he told me to climb to 3,000 on current hdg and to contact approach controller again. Approach vectored me around and set me up for landing. Landed ok this time on 28L. Nice to see all the planes on the ground there and traffic in the vicinity.Thanks to all the controllers I talked to on my flights. Great job from all of you. Thanks for a great time!Bob Dodge

Guest Lenny Zaman

same herei allmost forgot the event but when i popped open whazzup well... you couldn't look aside it you know ;)so i quickly booked another flight 'UAL2626 - KLAX-KSJC' with the 763ER....had a wonderfull flight. i was in queue for clearance at KLAX fgor about 15 minutes so i overshot my pushback time with 10'(i know, i should have planned that better) but the departure slot was right on time. i was at gate 104 at LAX, so we had to taxi via C Q and E to 24L, while holding behing a DC10 who also had to wait for another taking off a/c on 24L, meanwhile another one came in on 24R so the DC10 was told to line up and hold. so i waited but managed to get in 1' of the final departure slot time. had a nice climbout, Departure managing this very wel ... just plainly "united twenty-six twenty-six right to 360 to intecept radial 323 outbound and take it to one thirty hundred, resume GMN2 departure.got my climb to FL350 almost immediately(filed for 370, but then realissed that the USA is non-rvsm compliant... argghh) the rest fot he flight was uneventfull except for the fact they put me onto the ROBIE2 instead of the JAWWS2 into KSJC, but that was no problem. had all the charts i wanted so, didn't care ;)landing was just bhind a departing traffic from 30L.must say: saw alot of AA and UAL, also NWA and SWA.... lol would that have a reason :) :)Just fun flying :)Cheers

Another one saying thanks to all involved for organising another CalScream.I have intended taking part in each one but for one reason or another have not made it until this one.My experience was not one of great enjoyment but one of frustration thanks to systems problems.I booked 2 flights, both SWA; KLAS - KSMF & KSMF - KONT uisng the DF 737 with a nice 'California One' livery by Bill Browning.For some reason I have problems displaying the FMC in this aircraft but it is so intermittent that I never know when it is going to happen.Yes, you guessed it, it happened at CalScream6.3 reboots of the PC finally got the DF up and running and put me about 10 minutes behind schedule. Finally lifted off from 25R and, remembering Jeff's comment in the ng called departure with my altitude...see Jeff, some of us do read the ng :-)Excellent ATC en-route apart from one little comment, a number of controllers were very quiet and difficult to hear.Finally vectored in for visual 16L at Sacremento and on short finals SB booted me.Rather than try to reconnect and cause mayhem at KSMF I touched down off line, so sorry to TWR for vanishing.Quick turn around at KSMF for the trip to Ontario.Took off OK then got booted again, had 3 attempts to get back on with no luck.Just about to try a fourth time when I found the FMC would not display correctly and I could not engage LNAV or VNAV :-(So apologies to departure at Sacremento for vanishing.I did not fancy the idea of a manual flight with that much traffic, and given the difficulty I had rejoining SB I decided to continue off line.The annoying thing was that knowing the FMC could give me a problem I tested it during the previous week to make sure all was well and could not replicate the problem.The DF737 is the plane I use a lot on VATSIM so I need to nail this problem.Still there's always CalScream 7, and I might try for an airline that uses plastic planes :-), and I won't have a problem if I take part in Cross the Pond ;-)Once again guys, thanks for organising this and look forward to the next one.Next one to look forward to I guess is the Dutch 'Real Ops' night.

Guest Dan_Pergau

Yes indeed, it was a great event. I was fortunate I was flying a PIC763 as I had 3 different holds to execute until I could get into LAX. I have no idea why it was closed but the guys in the hold with me all had a good time =)Regards,Dan Pergau

Guest Mikey

It was closed cause I had like 6 aircraft in the North FINAL approach space.. it can hold about 3.. maybe.. :)South was worse... we did the best we could, and I didn't have a sep. error with them either.. thank god for stacking :)ME (LAX_N_APP)