Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

Question for controllers

Being a newbie, I've not seen the controller side of things, only the pilot side. Anyway, I was curious about when I pause the sim to switch to SB to do a freq. change or something, does my paused game show up any different on your screen? Do I show up at all during that time? Just wondering, since I'm in and out several times during a flight to change frequencies, etc.KP

If you pause, it will show on our scopes. Youll just stay in the place where you paused at. Might want to check out the option of 'Pause on Task Switch' and see if that is X'd out or not. If it is X'd, get rid of it, that way you can change your freq, do whatever you need w/ FS2K (FS2K2) still, and without pausing. Best of luck,

Also a way to switch your frequency is to use the .atis command. For example if you're flying out of St. Louis and St. Louis approach tells you to contact Kansas City Center on 134.750 all you have to do is type .atis KC_V_CTR and then you'll get the controller's Atis and RW will switch over. You'll also have to tune your comms in FS to 134.750 since this is not done automatically using the .atis command.With this however there are some drawbacks... If the controller doesn't do a text handoff you probably won't know the center's callsign since it often varies.. For example if over voice you were told to contact Kansas City Center on 134.75 and that controller's callsign was something like KC_V1_CTR or KC_VS_CTR then you probably won't know that their callsign isn't the ordinary and you won't get their Atis. If the controller does give a text handoff it makes it a lot easier to switch over to the next frequency :)Jason

Excellent! I had no idea that was possible. Thanks for the info Jason. I'll certainly do it that way from now on as much as possible. One other question (remember, I'm a newbie): When I log on to some controllers, I get a message for the various autoatis available. I've tried and tried to get that to work, following some instructions I printed out (don't remember where I got them) but I never seem to get anywhere with it. Could someone give me a correct example of how to enter the info?KP

Guest ielchitz

Ken,As it happens, I just finished writing a How To on the Autoatis to help teach new controllers how to use it. If this does not help let me know - this is one of the most confusing things to learn, for both controllers and pilots - but once you get the hang of it - you will be happy! This is from BOTH the Controller and Pilot section - so be sure to look for the section titled FOR PILOTS.Enjoy,Ian Elchitz CYWGOakland ARTCC--------

For Controllers

YOU MUST BE LOGGED ONTO A VALID POSITION. Logging on as "_OBS" will not get the AUTOATIS to work for you. To get a list of stations within a 100nm radius along with the frequencies you type: AUTOATIS This will return a list similar to: --------------- AUTOATIS Online V1.12 - ATIS Stations in Range KMRY - Monterey Peninsula - 119.25 KOAK - Oakland Intl - 133.75 KSAC - Sacramento Executive - 126.75 KSJC - San Jose/Norman Y Mineta Intl - 126.95 KSFO San Francisco Intl - 118.5 End List ----------------- So you can type that at anytime to get the frequencies in case you cannot remember or if a pilot asks you for it. To get the actual ATIS along with the current CODE the format is "AUTOATIS SEND (ICAO)" Do NOT type ".AUTOATIS"For example, if you wanted KOAK you would type: AUTOATIS SEND KOAK The result would be a chat window opening from KOAK-ATIS that would read something along the lines of: ---------------------- Oakland Metro Intl Airport Information XRAY 2053Z Oakland Arrivals expect Runway 29 General Aviation aircraft may be assigned alternate runway instructions. (The FULL weather)Advise Controller on initial contact you have XRAY ------------------------ Now you know that the code is XRAY. Next time a pilot calls in you could try the following: "Approach g'day ACA301 with you at 15000 with XRAY" Another scenario is the pilot checking in without the ATIS: "Approach g'day ACA301 with you at 15000" "ACA301, Bay Approach good afternoon - Info XRAY is current on 133.75" Pilot at that point either says: "Ok we've got XRAY thanks" or "OK we'll go and grab XRAY and will be right back" and a moment later comes back with: "Approach, ACA301 with XRAY now." After you do this enough times - that pilot will grab the AUTOATIS and check in with the code every time. The codes updated at about 15 after the hour - so every now and then it is a good idea (when you get a chance) to open the AUTOATIS and see what the current code is (so you know) and again you do that by typing - "AUTOATIS SEND (ICAO)".

For Pilots

One of the most misunderstood functions on VATSIM is how the pilots get the AUTOATIS - if you have people asking you - refer them to this document or show them how.Pilot's get the AUTOATIS a little different. Getting the AUTOATIS requires two steps:1) Getting the proper FrequencyYou're flying along and decide it is time to get the ATIS. You have no clue IF there is an ATIS for your destination, nor do you have any clue what the frequency is. Type the following message on the frequency:"AUTOATIS"This will return a list of stations in range, their ICAO, and the frequency of the AUTOATIS, something like:--------------------------- AutoAtis Stations in Range KOAK - Oakland Int'l - 133.75 KSFO - San Francisco Int'l - 119.50 End List ----------------------------Now you know what the frequencies for both Oakland and San Francisco are. Your best bet as a pilot is to write down the frequencies for the airports you fly to and from frequently.2) Getting the information from that frequency.Now that you have the frequency, it's time to get the actual ATIS. Simply tune your COM1 radio from the current frequency to the frequency of the AUTOATIS. So, if you were flying into Oakland, you would tune to 133.75.Note that while you are on this frequency, you will not receive any text messages from the controller, though you will not lose them on voice. If you or the controller are text only it's a good idea to ask if you can leave the frequency for a moment.Now that you have your COM1 tuned to 133.75 you just need to make a transmission of anything on the frequency to have the autoatis sent back to you. By "anything" that means you can type "hello", "goodbye", "test" or hit the spacebar followed by the enter key. You just need to transmit something. The ATIS now responds with something like:Oakland Metro International Airport Information LIMA 1153Z Oakland Arrivals expect Runway 29 (108.70) General Aviation Aircraft may be assigned alternate runway instructions Weather: wind 300 @ 7 knots (....)Advise Controller on initial contact you have LIMANow you have your ATIS! Write down the code, change your COM1 back to the controller's frequency and you can tell them that you have info LIMA!

That made perfect sense. The directions I had read previously for using autoatis didn't have a great deal of that information, so that is probably why it never worked for me ;)Thanks very much Ian! :)KP