Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

VatSim: This thing is growing on me! Questions:

1. Reference FS2002>Flights>Multiplayer>Connect>Run: What should the IP address be and what is "search" supposed to find? Also what function does "join" and "join as observer" perform? It does not seem to make any difference to my flight what IP is entered, nor do I get any results by clicking the join choices. Also, under "Protecol comments", I get an error message stating that "winipcfg" cannot be found when I try to Start>Run>"winipcfg".2. Reference Settings - Multiplayer Host Server: What does clicking "Host as Observer" do?3. I am useing multiple monitors. If I unlock the Squawkbox host for FS2002 SB window and move it to a second monitor, what does the downloaded HostSB Run module do for me that the Squawkbox SB does not do? Also don't I still need the Squawkbox SB window if I am going to use the FMC or TAC? If so, of what use is the downloaded HostSB module?4. Reference Flight Plan: Are times Zulu? Is there a way to save Victor and Jet Airways rather than multiple waypoints in the plan? (No big thing)5. Reference Connect To PCSB Server: Am I correct in assuming that the "Internet Address of Server" is to be the Network server (i.e. USA-S1 Houston Texas, USA), and the "Roger Wilco Server" must be an active ATC Controller IP address?Am I also correct that the address for the controller does not have to be changed in the PCSB Server window when going from one controller to another from ServInfo to the Roger Wilco Registered pop up window.?That's enough for now. On my last flight from KMCI to KMSP, voice was ok some of the time, and we lost each other some of the time. My controller said that this just happened some of the time. We both reactivated Roger Wilco and resumed communication for a time, but then lost each other again, so went with the typed text bit. I was not sure whether this was just the normal breaks of the game, or possibly soemthing relative to the above questions was involved. Apparently I am doing something right, as there did not seem to be any issues relative to my last flight, but I am not confident as to what the settings should be in the above.My thenks to the kind and patient ATC guys at KMCI and KMSP for this Newbie. (I apologize for not retaing their names.) The flight went virtually flawlessly with the exception of the RW Voice bit mentioned above. Clouds and Clouds along with 0.75 Mile visability and Snow on final. More fun than I expected. Thanks everybody:RTH

Hi RTHGlad you enjoy the online world of flight simming! :-)I will try to answer the questions raised.>1. Reference FS2002>Flights>Multiplayer>Connect>Run: What >should the IP address be and what is "search" supposed to >find? For a proper multiplayer function when flying on VATSIM you should enable a Host Multiplayer session. Enter your hostname (i.e. your callsign) and click on Host. In that host session, SB and AIBridge (if you run that) and the other visible players will join.> Also, under "Protecol comments", I get an error message >stating that "winipcfg" cannot be found when I try to >Start>Run>"winipcfg". If you're running winXP or 2000 you should type "ipconfig /all" in the command window. "Winipcfg" is only for win98 (and ME I think).>2. Reference Settings - Multiplayer Host Server: What does >clicking "Host as Observer" do? I think that in this mode you are hosting a session and can see the other joined players but are not seen yourself. Not to be used on VATSIM.>3. I am useing multiple monitors. If I unlock the Squawkbox >host for FS2002 SB window and move it to a second monitor, >what does the downloaded HostSB Run module do for me that >the Squawkbox SB does not do? Also don't I still need the >Squawkbox SB window if I am going to use the FMC or TAC? If >so, of what use is the downloaded HostSB module? The HostSB module will make the SB window reside in the FS2k2 window like a panel. If you use the original SB Host you will have to change task every time you want to access SB. I don't know if this will make any difference when undocking the HostSB window and moving it to another window. But to me it sounds like you should still use HostSB.>4. Reference Flight Plan: Are times Zulu? If you are talking about FS Flight Planner I really don't know. Try to use a better flight planning tool like FSBuild or FSNav.>Is there a way to save Victor and Jet Airways rather than >multiple waypoints in the plan? (No big thing) Not in the default FS Flight Planner. See the above answer.>5. Reference Connect To PCSB Server: Am I correct in >assuming that the "Internet Address of Server" is to be the >Network server (i.e. USA-S1 Houston Texas, USA), and the >"Roger Wilco Server" must be an active ATC Controller IP >address? Affirmative! Do a ping from ServInfo and see what server has the least connections and the fastest reply. The Roger Wilco Server address that you enter on your login page in SB can be any valid RW server. The server will change according to what server the active ATC is connected to. >Am I also correct that the address for the controller does >not have to be changed in the PCSB Server window when going >from one controller to another from ServInfo to the Roger >Wilco Registered pop up window.? If the ATC has configured his ATIS (the private messages you get when you first connect to him) right. And you have enabled the SB Option "Change RW server on ATIS" (or something similar). Your RW should change channel automatically. You will see that as a yellow line in the SB text window.>Thanks everybody: You're welcome. And don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!Regards