Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

getting back into online flying

Hi there,I have a few questions with regards to online flying that I couldn't find the answer to in the turorials and forum here.1) How can I find out what weather info is current (i.E. Information Alpha, or Bravo etc.). I know how to request weather via the FMC or Servinfo but I don't know whether it's Bravo or Charlie.....2) I'm a instrument rated pilot in real life but I'd rather get vectored during both departure and arrival than filing a DP/STAR (just to practice IFR communication and increase workload ;-) How do controllers handle that if I use "no DP, no STAR" in the remarks section of the flightplan to let them know that I don't have the charts (or rather want to be vectored)?Thanks in advance for any help,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

1) The METARs that you refered to, you get them from the network automatically (check SquawkBox options) and affect your FS do not have letter codes only a datetime tag in the beggining. ATISs do have a letter code and ATISs are related to controllers. Only when you connect to a controller you'll get an (his) ATIS. Its more of a "Controller Information" than an ATIS actually. You may not see any more letter codes since ATIS's of controllers have been reduced to 4 lines of text by VATSIM policy. Basically all a controller is instructed to have in there are "controller's voice connection details (if using voice) in first line, then runways in use (if appropriate), followed only by some simple details of the airport / airspace they are controlling in the lines to follow"So it isn't really an ATIS as in real life and the letter code is optional.2) Yes you can as in real life. Difference is that in real life you'd almost never get a vectored departure after filing an FP without DP due to heavy traffic. In VATSIM sometimes we insist on some procedures mainly to train pilots and avoid to have them just pushing and autopilot switch ON and OFF. Still though you can insist on a controller (in VATSIM) to depart without DP (SID), he/she on the other hand can delay you if he/she is really busy at that time.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Hi there,thanks a bunch for the quick info. That sure is the info I was looking for, now I'll feel more comfortable filing without DP/STAR's without being afraid to get yelled at ;-)I don't mind if they delay me due to my not filing published procedures, that happens in real life all the time anyway ;-)Thanks again,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11