Sign in to follow this  
Guest aimcorp

ASRC 1.1 with FS2004 Alttiude

Guest aimcorp

Not sure if this is addressed here elsewhere, but here I go.I have noticed that sometimes traffic is showing like 300 feet above their FP altitude, I think is when pilots use FS2004.Does anybody know if this is an ASRC bug or FS bug, or if it can be fixed?ArielMiami Artcc C3

Goodevening,I don't think that this has to do with FS2004 users only, I have seen pilots with FS2002 with the same problem, this used to happen in PC and ASRC1.0 too, and I think it has something to do with the qnh of the area where the pilot fliesFor example pilot the departs from LGKR reaches final FL320 ASRC shows FL323. Pilot confirms qnh 1013, Leaving the area where LFKR metar is affective altitude shows FL320, leaving this area altitude changes back to FL323.I don't know if there is a connection with the program a pilot uses to get metar or is just a glitch in the network somewhere. The positive is that all planes in the area have the same alt differrence so at least there is no danger of conflictChris MakrisHellenic vACC CTR+

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest ielchitz

It's not a glitch guys. It's called a Flight Level.Remember that FL330 is NOT THE SAME as 33,000 feet MSL.Local pressure is 3015. Guy at FL330 will show on your radar as something like 33,300 MSL. In his aircraft his altitude is showing at 33,000 with standard altimeter set (29.92 in the US).Local pressure is 2980 - guy at FL330 will show on the radar as something like 32,800 MSL. In his aircraft his altitude is showing at 33,000 with standard altimeter set (29.92 in the US).This is why in the United States we do not use FL180 when the altimeter is below 29.92. Consider the following:The altimeter is 3020.Aircraft #1 is level at 17,000 feet using local altimeter setting. He will show on radar as 17,000 Feet. Aircraft #2 is level at FL180 using standard altimeter setting. He will show on radar as 18,300 feet.We can criss-cross these two until the cows come home as we have our 1000 feet vertical separation.Then - same situation - altimeter is 2980.Aircraft #1 is level at 17,000 feet using local altimeter setting. He will show on radar as 17,000 Feet. Aircraft #2 is level at FL180 using standard altimeter setting. He will show on radar as 17,800 feet.We do NOT have 1000' separation between FL180 and 17,000 feet thus we don't assign it - in fact we generally don't assign 18,000 feet either. So for IFR altitudes we use 17,000 and then go straight to FL190.Just a heads up here for all you pilots. You should understand and know what the transition altitudes are for the area you are flying in. In Canada and the USA when the altimeter is 2992 or above - you go to Flight Levels starting at 180. So if you are assigned "Descend and Maintain 16,000" - please DO NOT descend to "FLIGHT LEVEL 160". We need you at 16,000 MSL with the local altimeter setting or else we can't be sure of vertical separation.Hope that explains the non bug in FS. This is a concept that it is ESSENTIAL for both controllers are pilots alike on VATSIM to understand.

Guest rcritz

Additionally, SB3 (as well as SB747 for PS1 and XSquawkBox for X-Plane) all will provide additional information to the controller clients that SB2.x does not provide. It will allow the controller clients to show flight level rather than MSL altitude when appropriate.The updated packet format is defined but not all software is using it yet. You'll see this take effect over time.cz