Sign in to follow this  
Mats_J

Pedestal design

Hi allI am currently trying to get the feel of the dimensions of the 737NG pedestal. I'm doing this in autoCAD and it seems I'm getting the hang of it. I've only done the wooden frame work, and some metal sheet housing so far (still in the virual CAD-world though...lol). Now I have to start to think about the inside stuff. It's gonna be a lot of pots and servos I'm afraid. I am planning on working trim wheel with servos for A/P trim. working trim needles. Spoiler pots. Servos on the throttle levers. Working reverse levers and of course flap levers. All the buttons should also be live. The pedestal seems to be the hardest part to get "real". Anyone tried servos on throttles and trim wheels?Happy holidays to all!

I have never tried anything like servos on the throttles or trim needles, but if you can get the PC and FS to interphase with them it should be possible. I have seen people do it, however I have no clue as to how. Another thing, I noticed that the design of your pedestal does not have the engine fire section. this section is supposed to be between the big square part and the throttle part.

Havent done that kind of stuff yet, I am more into the GA -style myself. But if you have not chosen the method of wiring the stuff yet, check out FSBUS (www.fsbus.de), it seems to be the best way for both the budget and functionality, among everything it can control servos, and it also has 8-potentiometer input module (ie, for 4-engine turboprop you just add 2 of those modules for 4xthrottle, 4xmixture and 4xprop + flaps, spoilers etc.. ;) ) , all neatly interfaced via the serial port.Tuomas

Thanks for the kind words. I think the interfacing can be done. One of the hard tasks tough is to fit everything inside the pedestal. Everything (trim wheel, throttles, flaps, spoilers and trim needles) are on the same axis so that will be a though one to figure out). If you take a close look at the picture you can see there's a gap between the radio panel housing and the pedestal. That's where the fire handling switches are to be. I'm not finished with the radio stand just yet! ;-)Happy Holidays

TuomasWhen I started to plan my simpit I was into EPIC. It seemed to be a pretty straight forward, if rather expensive, way to get things working. But I'm leaning more and more towards FSBUS. Actually it's going to be a mix between keyboard encoders and FSBUS. A lot of features can be easily adapted using encoders. Such as the FMC keypad and the EFIS control panel and other stuff with weird abbreviations found on larger jets ;-)Happy Holidays

>Tuomas >>When I started to plan my simpit I was into EPIC. It seemed >to be a pretty straight forward, if rather expensive, way to >get things working. But I'm leaning more and more towards >FSBUS. Actually it's going to be a mix between keyboard >encoders and FSBUS. A lot of features can be easily adapted >using encoders. Such as the FMC keypad and the EFIS control >panel and other stuff with weird abbreviations found on >larger jets ;-) >>Happy Holidays Happy holidays for you too!FSBUS can actually generate keyboard events (you can even make it do mouse clicks on certain screen coordinates to click buttons or focus windows etc) - so it probably works rather well for stuff like a FMC.I dont know this stuff too well yet but a FMC sounds very much doable, one just needs the software for the FMC itself - a friend here is doing a home cockpit based on 767PIC and it contains one. I wonder if there are any decent free FMC/ND gauges available? Not that I am overly excited about IFR, but never say never :-)Tuomas