Sign in to follow this  
blave

home flight simulation - in 1965!

I happened to come across this guy's web site while perusing the Project Magenta stuff - he built his first sim in 1965! Unbelievable!http://www.geocities.com/jetstarsim/aa707.htmLinks to his other sims are here: http://www.geocities.com/jetstarsim/index.htmI sent him an email to congratulate him on his perserverence on this hobby - I bet no-one else has been doing this stuff for 38 years!Dave BlevinsKRHV

Guest PeterK

PeterKI started with my first cockpit back in 1975..No computers back thenthe artificial horizon was made with 2 volt meters for horizontaland vertical movements...the fuel consumption was a volt meterusing a capacitor discharge system...throttle was a variacrunning a hair dryer for engine noise and other Ac voltmetersfor engine readings..I later went to Leds for Power readingsusing a radio shack 3915 Ic chip if i remember clearly...I spent more time trying to make it all work than flying...The display was a Black and white sony camera looking at a boxin the box was a set of rollers that had the ground painted on itthe back of the box has the sky with cotton ball clouds..a light made it day or night...the roller speed was set by thevariac on the throttle....In the long run Imagination powered the whole thing...looking back now the whole thing sounds like a bad joke...In 1982 the cockpit was converted to an apple 2 c and the first version of Bruce Artwicks flight simulator was used..1 5 inch floppy and a stick and wire frame world to fly in..back then it seemed real...Shes long gone but not forgotten..Anybody else have a early cockpit...???Pete Http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard