Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for flap indicator

Hi,I'm planning a generic panel using FSBUS for use in single/multi prop aircraft and I've got stuck on the flap control.I've pretty much decided to use a momentary 3 position switch for the flap control, but I don't know what the best way to display flap position would be.Some ideas I have come up with are an LED array that is marked on the panel but this would differ between aircraft, a 7-segment LED display showing the value given by FS.Either system would be together with a 'transit' light. I guess this information is extractable from FS?Any suggestions?ThanksChris

>Hi, >>I'm planning a generic panel using FSBUS for use in >single/multi prop aircraft and I've got stuck on the flap >control. >>I've pretty much decided to use a momentary 3 position >switch for the flap control, but I don't know what the best >way to display flap position would be. >>Some ideas I have come up with are an LED array that is >marked on the panel but this would differ between aircraft, >a 7-segment LED display showing the value given by FS. >>Either system would be together with a 'transit' light. I >guess this information is extractable from FS? >>Any suggestions? >A servo-driven gauge for flap position? It could be a round gauge or just something like the trim indicator (which you probably want to do as well like this) - an indicator that moves in a slot.

.--.|  |- UP|  |-|<>|-|  |--|  |-|  |-|  |- FULL`--'

Something like the above. Just dont put any specific markings for the lines - or make separate front plates that are easily switchable for each aircraft you tend to fly.Similar approach works probably well for the trim indicator too. It just needs to have the "takeoff" setting marked. Again doable with separate plates or something.Tuomas

try this site: http://www.simkits.comI have some of their stuff on order. Each gauge ranges from US$30 to $70, and the controller board (one of which can handle *all* of their gauges at one time, plus more stuff (e.g. switches) once the SDK is made available) is about $200.None of their instruments are Flap Position Indicators but in theory you could take their General Instrument - intended for several different applications (e.g. Airspeed, VSI, etc.) - print your own gauge face, and assign/calibrate that gauge to the flap position parameter of FS2002.I haven't played around with the driver software yet, but I note that the controller board has a Flaps connector. So it looks like what I am proposing is possible.Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

>try this site: http://www.simkits.com >>I have some of their stuff on order. Each gauge ranges from >US$30 to $70, and the controller board (one of which can >handle *all* of their gauges at one time, plus more stuff >(e.g. switches) once the SDK is made available) is about >$200. >>None of their instruments are Flap Position Indicators but >in theory you could take their General Instrument - intended >for several different applications (e.g. Airspeed, VSI, >etc.) - print your own gauge face, and assign/calibrate that >gauge to the flap position parameter of FS2002. >>I haven't played around with the driver software yet, but I >note that the controller board has a Flaps connector. So it >looks like what I am proposing is possible. >>Dave Blevins >KRHV Yep, those look nice. But he is planning to build FSBUS anyway, and you can get a servo controller board for FSBus. I guess fsbus could drive those SimKits instruments that dont have the fully-rotating hacked servo. Or just build your own gauge, since the flap indicator does not even need gears since the range of motion is less than 180