Sign in to follow this  
Guest seev_39

FS 2004 button key assignments

Guest seev_39

Hi all,While working on my multi purpose concole (GA and commercial) I had to check all the default key assignments in MSFS 2002 pro. I was surprised to find 258 key functions that can be loaded and operated in the cockpit (I use an Hagstrom card, 3 GoFlight modules, a joystick and 3 axis, 4 button controller).There are several problems with those key assignments, which I am sure you are aware of, such as being sorted by the first word of the function - resulting , for example, in finding "increase prop RPM" far away from "decrease prop RPM". To make life easier I loaded all commands in an EXCEL file, so I can sort them by name, keyboard combination or by the name I gave to the function. For example I renamed the above "increase prop RPM" to be "Prop RPM - increase". Another problem (for my design at least) is having too many functions but also missing some, especially for guage operation.Now, what I think is that we should bring our word to Microsoft, before they are done with FS 2004, to make the necessary corrections in the default key and axis lists (axis could be more complicated). What do you think about this?Best to all Seev

FS could definitely benefit from usability improvements such as this. It's probably too late for FS2004 but since the FS guys scan the forums, they'll make note of it. And, who knows, maybe they already improved it in 2004.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Are you also aware of the bunch of extra ones available via FSUIPC.dll? There are a whole lot more than what can be defined in fs2002.cfg.Check the FSUIPC config dialog and the "Key" notebook tab there (and the "Button" one for joystick button stuff, same controls can be assigned there)Get the "FS2002 Controls" document from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html and use the word search on that, it is fast to find stuff like all the "prop" things. And fsuipc defines a bunch of other useful functions (like "roger wilco transmit" so it can work via a joystick button) and stuff like that. And you dont need to hack the config file directly, just assign those from within the FSUIPC dialog so you dont have to restart FS all the time to test it. If you knew that already, then disregard :-)Tuomas

Guest seev_39

Hi Tuomas,Thanks for the tip on the "FS Controls" files. Though I use FSUIPC key options, I was not aware of those files. They help a lot. But I am still missing some functions, probably because I don't know where and how to utilize them.For example, the throttle reverse function. There are a lot of key (not axis) options for throttle, but none for reverse. How comes??The axis throttle options in FSUIPC allow you to use a certain part of the pot for reverse, O.K. that's fine, but what if I wish to use a key function for reverse - I believe it could be easier to build a reverse lever with such a function, or maybe I am mistaken?Wish you and all a nice weekendSeev