Sign in to follow this  

Cast Aluminum Grip

I have recently built a set of anti torque pedals for my sim. I am now working on a cyclic. I have the means to build cast aluminum grips. Since there is a fair bit of work to make the pattern I'm wondering if there are any other builders interested in getting one. Also while we are at it:1) what would be a good design for a generic grip ?2) How many buttons and/or hat switches3) What would be a good and fair price? Send me your wish list and I'll see what I can do.ThanksMike

To be honest, I think I'd rather just have a plastic grip on the cyclic - no helo that I'm aware of uses metal for this. Metal gets cold 8^) .What I *would* be interested in is a cheaper alternative to the cyclic offered by Flight Link - the USB version is $800! http://www.flightlink.com/hardware/rotorwing/gs2plus.htmlIt seems to me that a USB cyclic, based on the innards of a high-quality joystick (e.g. CH FlightStick), could be built for $300 or less. I just don't have the mechanical know-how (or tools) to do it myself.I have been wanting to build some sort of cockpit setup for quite a while; Antti's excellent Dauphin has moved my thoughts toward a helicopter-focused arrangement rather than fixed-wing. One of the first stumbling blocks is the cyclic...I'm also trying to figure out how to solve the collective problem. I would like to have one that is similar to what's in the JetRanger - i.e. a switch box on the end, and also a fuel controller twistgrip. So far I'm thinking that I might be able to modify the one that Flight-Link sells, but again their stuff is more pricey than I'd like.regarding the buttons and hats: I'd want at least what I already have on my CH Combat Stick - two hats (mine are both 4-ways, although the newer USB version has an 8-way which would be nice) and several switches here and there - trigger (radio), A/P disconnect, load pickle, etc.Let us know how you get along with your project... Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest LeoL

Al must be pretty tough to work with. Have you thought about using the same kind of soft metal used for Hot Wheels die cast cars? I used to have fun as a kid melting them and pouring it into wood molds. Of course, now those same Hot Wheels sell on ebay for thousands $$$ to collectors! :_(Just a thought.-Leo

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. I Just took a look at the link you sent. I have seen this one before. There are quite a few manufactures. I think that the grip on that one is ABS plastic. What it comes down to is that I am set up for aluminum not plastic. :) And yes I do agree that the prices are a bit scary. I think I seen a price of $800.00 US which is almost $1100.00 Canadian ! Put the three pieces together and it will cost more than the PC.I will keep you in mind and e-mail you with any developments. I guess I better make a list of names.Thanks for the reply and please feel free to send any other sugestions.Mike