Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raafie75

Schematics for SimPit Intercom?

Guest Raafie75

Would anybody have an idea if anyone has built their own intercom system that you could plug a ordinary pair of twin plug aviation headsets into. I know theres kits you can buy but has anyone designed their own?Regards,

>Would anybody have an idea if anyone has built their own>intercom system that you could plug a ordinary pair of twin>plug aviation headsets into. I know theres kits you can buy>but has anyone designed their own?>>>Regards,>I'm about to, but no plans yet. I just know that you can get the plugs from www.aircraftspruce.com, but not much else. Shouldnt be that hard though. The headphone plug is regular mono wiring anyway, so you can just get a 6mm -> 3.5mm plug adapter to hear sounds, but the mic has more stuff into it, but I guess it isnt anything too weird. Mike? Ideas? Tuomas

Guest captain777

First...Here are 2 ways to adapt Aviation headsets to PC soundcard usage. (they have different impedances...not just a matter of physical pin connections).1. At flightsim.com - using a rough cut and paste method - http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapt.htm2. At flighsim.com - a full electronic conversion - much better.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapter.htmWith this, you may then be able to connect the two headsets to the same ports on the soundcard...and make sure the 'mic' or 'line in' signals are configured to feedback to the earpieces (via the soundcard selector software and sliders). An alternate tweak is to use the same ports for the earpieces on each headset, but plug headset #1 mic into the 'mic' port and #2 into the 'line in' port. That way you can control the mics separately in the soundcard software. If you are looking for more of a sophisticated setup, you can try to buy a sigtronics intercom unit ($200 new, $80-100 on ebay) and plug the sigtronics unit into the electronics converter in option #2 above.Good luck!

Guest captain777

First...Here are 2 ways to adapt Aviation headsets to PC soundcard usage. (they have different impedances...not just a matter of physical pin connections).1. At flightsim.com - using a rough cut and paste method -http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapt.htm2. At flighsim.com - a full electronic conversion - much better.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapter.htmWith this, you may then be able to connect the two headsets to the same ports on the soundcard...and make sure the 'mic' or 'line in' signals are configured to feedback to the earpieces (via the soundcard selector software and sliders). An alternate tweak is to use the same ports for the earpieces on each headset, but plug headset #1 mic into the 'mic' port and #2 into the 'line in' port. That way you can control the mics separately in the soundcard software. If you are looking for more of a sophisticated setup, you can try to buy a sigtronics intercom unit ($200 new, $80-100 on ebay) and plug the sigtronics unit into the electronics converter in option #2 above.Good luck!

Guest MikePowell

It shouldn't be particularly difficult. Although aircraft headphones are high impedence devices, it might be a good idea to include the capability to drive low impedence phones as well.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Wow, thanks for this!Someone was selling this kind of "black box" for something like $49 or so, and I somehow knew it had to be a "lets separate the uneducated and his money" -project. Really simple, and doable. Nice!Tuomas

Guest Raafie75

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I wanted!Kind Regards,BRAD HELLER.

Happy New Year!!About the intercom problem, i want to add one more question in this thread.That i was looking for, is to have my Headsets devices (for Captain and F/O) connected to my soundcards (in two different PCs) for the ATC communication (with RogerWilco or AVC).In the same time i need to have intercom between Captain and F/O so they can communicate via Headsets. Any ideas?Best RegardsEddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

>Happy New Year!!>>About the intercom problem, i want to add one more question in>this thread.>>That i was looking for, is to have my Headsets devices (for>Captain and F/O) connected to my soundcards (in two different>PCs) for the ATC communication (with RogerWilco or AVC).>>In the same time i need to have intercom between Captain and>F/O so they can communicate via Headsets. >>Any ideas?Why two different PC's? Oh wait.. yes. You can tune different stuff on captains setup and first officers headset on airliners.. rright.I wonder if you can have double login with AVC though? It checks if you are logged in vatsim, and if you are, then it lets you join a voice channel. But does it let you do the same twice? Or then you need to have two guys logged into vatsim at once, and one needs to leave his plane sitting on the airport idle (which is against the VATSIM regulations..) while the other login handles the actual flight. Dunno if this would work.Or does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Most GA planes just have one intercom system where both mics go to the same place, so this is not a problem.Might be worth asking in the AVC/squawkbox forum?Tuomas

Guest captain777

Ahhhh...that is an interesting challenge!I have attached a schematic showing how to do both single PC and Dual PC options. Hope it helps. Note that you will have to 'play' with the Roger Wilco and soundcard settings to get everything to work appropriately...but the physical connections should be correct.Also...if you are NOT using aviation headsets (i.e. using regular PC headset)...you can eliminate the 'converter' in the circuit.(for the converter...see http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapter.htm)