Sign in to follow this  
Guest tralluccio

fsbus power sup and com cable?

Guest tralluccio

hi everyoneI've just finished to build the fscom3, now I want to start with testing, but I've just realized some essential info are missing from the files I've downloaded.Which voltage and amperage do I need for the power supply (DC rigth?)How do I have to connect the board to the rs232 pins?may be I've missed something on their site, I suppose there should be a file or something where this is written but I can't find it!thank you very much

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Power supplies should be 9v, but some people use 12v, as it tends to help with flashing unless you put a heatsink of the voltage regulator (7805). Amperage shouldn't exceed 1000mA (ie 1A). Most 9-12v power supplies will be sufficient for this purpose.The cable should be a 9pin null-modem (ie no crossed wires), and this can either be a straight extension/adapter cable, or if you want to chop off the plug at one end you can solder this directly to the board. Optimum lengths have been quoted between 10-50cm, the shorter the better.Hope this helps! :)

>Power supplies should be 9v, but some people use 12v, as it>tends to help with flashing unless you put a heatsink of the>voltage regulator (7805). Amperage shouldn't exceed 1000mA (ie>1A). Most 9-12v power supplies will be sufficient for this>purpose.>>The cable should be a 9pin null-modem (ie no crossed wires),>and this can either be a straight extension/adapter cable, or>if you want to chop off the plug at one end you can solder>this directly to the board. Optimum lengths have been quoted>between 10-50cm, the shorter the better.>>Hope this helps! :)Unfortunately, despite the good intentions you mixed everything up :)Power supply needs to be 9V minimum, but it needs to be a good quality. I use a PC AT power supply (12V), which works OK. But you *do* need a heatsink on the regulator, and it is a good idea anyway, since it puts out some heat even with 9V.As for cable, you want a 1:1 RS232 cable between the computer and the COM-card. As far as I remember "Null-modem" is the one *with* crossed wires, that will not do.There is no real importance about the length of the RS-232 cable between your computer and FSBUS, but it has helped some people to use a very short "flashing cable" between the COM-board and the module you are flashing (the flatcable) - I have a 10cm one which I use for flashing only.Note that once you have flashed the PIC successfully, you can use a longer cable without problem, the flashing is the part many people seem to have the troubles, and here most often it seems to be a bad solder somewhere and the person doesnt get enough voltage to the PIC in flash mode. There's the test/debug tool in the flash dialog of FSBUS for checking the voltages.Tuomas

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

D'oh! At least I got the figures correct ;)

Guest tralluccio

thank you very much for your help!!I'm having some trouble in flashing, I just can't get +13.5volts on that pic pin, my local elect. dealer gave me a esm374 instead of the 78l12 reassuring me that it is an equivalent. he was probably wrong :( :(

Guest tralluccio

I've just fixed the +13.5 volts problem, but i'm still unable to flash! aaaargh!I've doubble checked everything!bus cable is 46 cm. com cable less than 1m.I've checked programming voltage on the pic and I get +12,x when using 9v power supply and +15 when using 12v power supply, I've used the "troubbleshoot" function and tested voltage on those 3 pins and it is all ok! but when I try to flash I get the read after write error.do you have any idea??thanksp.s.I've noticed a strange thing: when I press "erase pic" or "write pic configuration" or "write flash" programming voltage become +15volts and never return to 0 unless I open the "troubleshoot" and set it to 0 there.

Guest romeo_charlie

Hey there!I think 46cm is way too long for the bus harness if you wanna flash. I have found that I need to use a really short bus cable (25 cm.) to flash successfully. Then for normal operation, it can be longer without problems. My RS232 cable is about a couple meters.I hope it helps.Rafa.

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

True, people have reported problems flashing with cables longer than 10cm, so I'd recommend a shorter cable of about that length. Once flashed, you can use a much longer cable. As far as the voltage goes, try earthing the voltage regulator with a headsink, it bolts directly on and usually goes direct to ground. That may well help the voltage problems.

Guest petrsn

Someone give me the "raspberry" if I am off the mark. That way I can correct any misunderstandings I have of the fsbus system : )Does the jumper pin required for flashing come into play here ?" Flash ModeIn the Flash mode each Microcontroller is loaded with firmware. The Flash algorithm and the binary programs are contained in the FSBUS router. Around a Microcontroller, the Jumper for RB6 and RB7 at this Controller "flash" must be changed "excerpted from the fsbus documentationTom

Guest tralluccio

I really feel deprssed! I have two different and perfectly functioning pic programmers! why they don't just give us a coupple of .hex files so everyone can flash that thing his own way??I think there is something wrong with the esm374 I'm using instead of the 78l12, indeed the led blowed after 10 minutes.or maybe that I need a led with a built-in resistor?thank you and bye ;)

Guest skotten

I too would like to have a hex file...I guess thats why FSBUS2 has a load hex file option??RegardsPeter

Do you get the read-after-write error right away on the first byte? Or does it show a bit of progress and then stops?I get the latter, I usually need to flash a few times to get it fully done. With longer cable it was worse, so I flash with the 10cm flatcableIf you get it right away, check the serial cable as well. And make sure your jumpers on BOTH the COM-board AND the module you are flashing with are jumpered in "FLASH" mode.Then if you get success, you can flash all of the pics with the same module, just remember to power off while you unplug the chips from the sockets. And be careful to not break the legs and beware static etc etc you know what I mean..Tuomas

Guest PB4

Hey Guys I would rather as well having hex files... I needs only one of you to flash the controler through FSBUS and then read the program using a general PIC programmer ?? couldn't that work ??cheers,PB4