Sign in to follow this  

Very Strange Multiplayer problem!

HiA few night ago I tried multiplayer for the first time but there is trouble with it.Where do i start?.....There was a session open already and I was given the IP to join. I went to Mulitplayer and enterd the IP, searched and found it. I set name as Westjet111 and I clicked join. THere were already 3 people online including one called Aeroflot. When I joined the session it said at the top "Aeroflot has joined the session" I am Westjet not Aeroflot. I exited and joined a few more times but still every time I join it says Aeroflot has joined... What on earth is going on?And off-course I could not see Aeroflot becasue apparently I was Aeroflot. I could see the other players fine, and Aeroflot could see the other players fine but me (Westjet) and Aeroflot could not see each other. We could not chat within MP either. We don't have the same IP, I checked and we live in diffeernet cities. Does anyone have any clue about this?When I join it says the other player has joined... why?Take careMike

Multiplayer has been broken since FS2000, and was broken even worse in FS2002..... I don't even bother with it anymore, and Microsoft doesn't admit to issues, and has already killed any patch for 2k2. In all the times I tried Multiplayer for FS2002, I had one good session.Out of fairness to Microsoft, one unknown in all of this are the firewalls people may be running. I've had quite a few crashes just trying to go into multiplayer, but some sessions I can join. Oddly enough, the most consistent sessions seem to be the military fly-ins, but that's not my cup of tea. Even if one joins a session, instead of watching pilots show off their skill, most times, landing aircraft dive beneath the runway, then bob up and down like otters in the surf.... Or planes will suddenly "jump" a mile ahead.I've emailed Microsoft about this, but most multiplayer discussions are curiously absent on their website. This is one advertised feature that works so poorly, that I'd wish Microsoft would just drop it altogether in their next release... I consider it nothing but a chat session--certainly not the enjoyable fellowship of piloting skill that was part of multiplayer in FS98.-John

That sucks that they don't fix it.I don't think it's the firewall becasue w can both join with...without errors..It just seems to think that I a someone else...Mike

I have also had the simulator report "XX joined" when XX was already in the multiplayer session before I joined. Doesn't seem to bother anything and XX appears as anouther aircraft.Multiplayer seems to have a few minor problems like players not always appearing and multiplayer ADF/DME tracking often not working. The ADF/DME tracking seemed to work well in FS 2000 but ussualy doesn't work for me in FS 2002. As before the feature is enabled in the multiplayer option dialog boxes.Sometimes another player doesn't appear in the 3D or overhead views, but does appear in the FS 2002 chat window's player list. Often this clears up if the invisable player briefly switches to the default Learjet. I have heard some speculate that something in the aircraft converted from FS 2000 (the ones without virtual cockpits) is more reliable about some aspect of the multiplayer presence.With lag times seldom much less than 1/4 second, and often in the 1/2 second to full second range I am not supprised the position of other players "jumps around" a bit. I can offer no explanation for the appearance of anouther player to be partially sunken into solid ground if both are using the same terain elevation data. One definate improvement has been considerably fewer instances of the vertically bobbing of a landed multiplayer aircraft that was all to frequent in FS 2000.The multiplayer features DO appear to need more work for the next version,but I would be VERY disapointed if they were to be discontinued. If any of the other respondants are disatisfied with them I will not consider them obliged to use multiplayer.

hmmm..i gather that the MP in FS2002 is messed up since there are more people who say it. I can see him in the Chat window but I cannot see him out the cockpit. I cannot chat to him either. I can write but he does not see my messages adn I do not see his.Anyway, I huess that we will give it up.Take careMike