Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Lee 2

minicockpit lights?

Guest David Lee 2

I'm putting the finishing touches on my somewhat allpurpose cockpit and a miscalculation has left me insufficient room to place the large Grimes post lamps (they require a 1/2" hole) in some key areas. Does anyone have any tips for very small red lights that might work? ThanksDavid

perhaps a small grouping of hi-intensity red LEDs might work? low-voltage consumption (equates to low heat, equating to low fire hazard)Which brings up another good point: How many of us sim builders build with fire and smoke considerations? During the course of my sim building experience I have smoked a few circuit cards, after which the last time my wife insisted on a smoke alarm in the sim room.I took that a few steps further: Installed a smoke alarm in each avionics bay. My hope is to eventually build something that will automatically trip the power if smoke is detected.

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest David Lee 2

Ray,You raise a good point as the Grimes posts I bought on Ebay do get pretty hot and I'm running 12V 500ma behind the panel now with the innocuous wires for my keyboard emulation. I even considered using a DPDT switch to turn on the 12V real lights at the same time as the cockpit lights in the sim but just can't bring myself to risk shorting out the PC. I'm not quite sure how to power the LEDs or make them into posts (so I can't see the bulb) but will work on it. ThanksDavid