Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

Fitting knobs on knitters problem

Guest PoRrEkE

I have 13 of my 15 orderd knitters here.They turn out rather small compared to the gray type encoders I had before. No problem though the pin is also very small in diameter. Something like 4mm. While my knobs need at least 5.How to solve this problem in a reliable way ?

Guest PoRrEkE

Btw, if anyone is curious to know how they work, I just opend one up to see what's inside.I did this for the grey type quite a few months ago and made a 3D max drawing to show how they work. I plan to do the same with these.Just for now .. try to follow my explanation ..Ok, imagine this:On the ( to small :( ) pin on the inside there is a simple disk which has got at the underside ribbels in a "star" shape. So like sun-rays. These touch the top bouble of a { shaped part (put horizontally if the pin is vertical). The { can move left or right like 1mm or so. Then the 2 hooks from the bottom of this { can pull on each side a little lever against a fixed contact. So if you turn left the { shifts left / center / left / center etc and thus closes the right contact. Turn right the { shifts right / center / right / center and thus closes the left contact.Easy as .. (what's very easy ?). Funny though that I have been trying to imagine how they could make it work and I came up with an other more complex way to do it.

I bought some soft plastic tubing from a hardware store. It's a tight fit over the shaft of the Knitter, and soft enough that when you force the knob over the tubing, the splines on the shaft, and on the inside of the knob, bite in and make a nice snug fit.Richard

Guest PoRrEkE

That was exactly my idea. Some rubber tube. However now I gotta find 4mm inner circle and 5 to 5.5mm outer circle ..

I use MASCOTTE Rolling Paper (for cigarettes), but my knobs are smaller in diameter then yours.("rolt drie keer beter!") ;-)Groeten,Nicowww.nicokaan.nlfc.php?vatsim=814584&indicator=OD1&a=pic767.jpg

Guest Stephan Haas

www.conrad.nlpart number: 70 15 72inner: 4mmouter: 6 mmmaterial plasticI have used these for my Knitters.Outer diameter might be a bit too much, but with some grinding you can adjust it.Kind regards,Stephan Haaswww.lemont.nl/b767flightdeckhttp://www.pic767flyingclub.com/images/sas544.jpg

Guest PoRrEkE

Tnx :)Very interesting indeed though .. last time I tried ordering from conrad I didn't get my goods cuz they said I didn't order enough (price-wize). That's why I still got no switches in my upper pedestal part. I tried ordering those small rectangular push buttons with the led.

The stuff I bought was really too small, but it was able to be stretched over the knitter with the aid of a bit of vaseline.Richard

>The stuff I bought was really too small, but it was able to>be stretched over the knitter with the aid of a bit of>vaseline.>>RichardTry scotch tape? Should work just fine..//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

I will try it with tape.The idea to put vaseline between ... ? I don't like that honestly :( first you make it slide good and then afterwards you hope it won't slide anymore .. ;)

Guest yoss

You can use tubing pieces from telescopic portable radious antennas with vaseline or without